ad: expert-3

IC2100H

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC7JTY, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Just bought the Icom 2100H and was surprised to find how bad the front end overload problem was compared to my Kenwood 261A.
    Enyone else had these two radios to compare?
                                                Bill
                                                KC7JTY
                                                BN196@yahoo.com [​IMG]

2. N8ATF

N8ATF Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, Just a little alternator whine in mine. I guess I was lucky to get one of the 2100's with a tight front end ;-). I use it right next to a 150 meg radio for public saftey bans and have no problem. Maybe your antenna spacing?

3. K9KJM

K9KJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an Icom 2000 a while back, and found the same problem with front end overload. Was not a real big problem for me, But then again, I live out in the boondocks with not all that much RF around...... I was disappointed with it's receiver. Went to an Icom 2350H dual band, Which has no such problem for me. I think that the Ic 2000 receiver is the same as the Ic 2100.
    And Icom advertised the 2000 and 2100 series as being "heavy-duty" Intermod resistant, etc......... I really like Icom radios overall, but sometimes any manufacturer will throw a curve....... [​IMG]

4. AC7UX

AC7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont have front end overload problems, but i did send mine back because, on high power it popped and had loud static crashes, that could be heard over the air and thru the speaker. since it is under warranty, its been shipped back for work. we well see what the tech`s at icom have to say about this. updates later.

5. KF4HAY

KF4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 IC 2100's,  and they have the same problem that AC7UX is speaking of.    Only,   mine does it on any power level,   however,  it's only an intermitant problem.  I have a friend that has a 2100 also,  he sent his off to be fixed,  cost him $100.  Guess I'll tolerate it till it gets to bad.  Also know another ham in the area with the same problem.  Also corresponded with another ham down south,  that knows of some 2100's with the same problem.    So,  it seems to be a flaw with the 2100's in general.  I emailed Icom about the problem,  they said they were unaware this type of problem.   But,   other than this problem I am satisfied with my 2100's.
       Neal    KF4HAY:(

6. KD7RHO

KD7RHO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 4 ic 2100 no problems with any of them. They do put out a bit more power than advertised, each one is pushing close to 70 watts or so says my bird. other than that all are preforming great

7. AC7UX

AC7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

well i got my radio back from icom. the problem was transister Q19. i talked to dean their tech wizard. she said, (thats right she) that she wasn`t aware of any design flaws, but she would bring it up to the engineers in japan. if anyone else has this problem e-mail to amateur@icomamerica.com ATTN. dean. she would like to know. my radio is working nicely now and i am putting it through it to work to make sure the problem dont reappear. make sure you let her know.

8. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kg4bvd @ May 24 2002,04:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry, Just a little alternator whine in mine. I guess I was lucky to get one of the 2100's with a tight front end ;-). I use it right next to a 150 meg radio for public saftey bans and have no problem. Maybe your antenna spacing?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I had the whine in mine until I replaced the failing stock alternator with a heavier output one from O'reilly's. (95 Geo Prizm). I have since moved the 2100h to my 98 Toyota Carolla and mounted it in dash, with a 25 watt highband vhf unit (153.xxx-158.xxx mhz) under the dash. No problems here either direction, except the police rig in scan mode causes a slight pulse rfi on my 2m receive.
    If I hear something I want to listen to, I just stop the scan and go back to my priority channel.

9. kc2jga

kc2jga Banned

About 4 months ago, I recieved a used 2100h which is a couple of years old. Have yet to have any problems with the radio itself, except for one thing. The microphone stopped working. COMPLETELY. So, I rewired an old Rat Shack cb mike to work with it. So far, no complaints.
    73's
    Mike
    KC2JGA

10. K9DRX

K9DRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I love this radio and at $149, you can't go wrong. I have noticed NO front end overload at all and as far as receive sensitivity, 100% satisfied. At home, it is equal to if not better than the more expensive Kenwood TMD700. In my vehicle, it's antler is a Comet dual-band SBB5 NMO and I was amazed by it's receive and transmit range. Outperforms my Uniden BC780 on RX in my truck on the same antenna. (VHF). If only this rig was a dual bander!!! [​IMG] I love the easy controls of this radio and the bright, clear display. I also have an engine whine problem in my 2001 Dodge pick-up but I'm sure a filter will cure that - just haven't had time to put one in yet. I love it's small size but yet large display and easy to see buttons/controls.

Things I would change -

Scanning in banks of 10 or 20 would be nice. Many Ham rigs are lacking this feature. Since they scan slower, they should have more options for scanning. Being able to select groups like on police scanners would be nice. There are some scan variations to use but none that are all that helpful.

While scanning, adjustment of the VFO knob only causes the radio to start scanning in the direction you move the knob. I would like the radio to stop scanning when I move the VFO and be able to quckly dial to a specific channel. Instead, you have to hit a button on the radio or mic first, then start dialing around. Not a big deal but something that would make using this radio a bit more efficient while scanning.

I'll give it a 9.5 out of 10. It's features for the cost are AWESOME.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.