IC-9700 vs IC-9100

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N3AWS, Jun 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Reviews of the IC-9700 were initially very favorable but shortly turned negative.

I was excited to see Icom announce this rig and I'm confident they will work out the bugs.

But, while the IC-9100 is still on the market, is it a better buy for VHF/UHF contesting?

Jim N3AWS

2. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm curious to see what the responses are here. I purchased a new IC 9100 a few months ago wanting to pick up vhf/uhf capabilities. I knew the 9700 was very close to release, but decided on the 9100 because of it's good reviews on vhf, hf/vhf/uhf in one box, mature production, and a price drop with the 9700 on the horizon. I was also reluctant to purchase a potentially buggy first production run and did not anticipate needing the 1296 band any time soon if ever. So far, I'm happy with tje 9100, but have not tried the 9700.

N3AWS likes this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

something to consider is frequency stability under hard (long) TX conditions, such as digimodes. both models fail.

the 9700 has a 10MHz reference input. but does not use it in operation, DUH!

9700 does not break out TX band, so impossible to power down preamps, run sequencers, etc.

it goes on and on, read the reviews, and decide if those things are important for your operating.

and, does anyone really care much about d-star? I wonder what anyone sends at 128kbs on 23cm.

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very satisfied with my 9100. My first brand new radio. having a lot of fun on the sats, 6M and hf
    Thats disapointing if the 9700 doesnt do ext preamp control.

5. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim, I can only give perspective comparing the 9100 to the 746... I really like the 9100. I use it as my contest radio, for 2M through 1296. The bonus is I have HF as well. Night and day compared to the 746 which is now ancient.
    One issue that is known, is the ALC overshoot issue. I can't use the radio with my Beko 1KW, unless I reduce the compression and ensure I drive it with 15-20 watts. I get those 100 watt spikes,
    on both 2M and also with my Acom 6M 1KW amp. The Beko is very protected so it shuts down. The Acom is tube, so its more forgiving but I still have the overshoot issue. I see on my meter it spikes to 900-1100 watts, then back down to 500-600 based on my drive. The 9700 is only three bands, but is newer technology and has a per watt band adjustment ability and no ALC issue. The 9100 is discontinued, effective March 31, but HRO has stock so if the price drops from 1999 to 1599 or so, I would buy one. You still have to add the 1296 module its about $600 so if that is not your boat you get 2, 432, 6 and HF for a very reasonable price. 9100 you can also run voltage over the coax for the mast mounted pre-amps. I dont' do that, I have direct 13.8 by external coax for all 4 mast mounted pre-amps. Hope this helps a little, ou need anything on 9100 let me know.

Good luck- David

6. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

David:

Thank you for your excellent reply! Very useful information, indeed!

73, Jim

7. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ICOM supposedly fixed the alc overshoot in the IC-9100 during the production run. My recollection is that occurred about 2013. There was also a recall of previous units.

8. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mini-Kits Australia announced yesterday on FaceBook the prototype of a GPS disiciplined frequency stabilizer for the IC-9700.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mini-Kits

Here is a sneak peak of the New Mini-Kits GPS9700 Prototype that was designed to lock the new Icom IC-9700 to an external 10MHz GPS reference. The design incorporates a low phase noise 49.152MHz 0.28 ppm voltage controlled TCXO module that is divided by a reverse DDS to 10MHz and compared to the 10MHz GPS to derive the voltage control. A small coupler PC board is soldered to the top of the TCXO can inside the IC-9700, and then the SMA to IPX cable is replaced with a longer cable. There are no other modifications or soldering required to the IC-9700 boards so should not be an issue with warrantee. The signal into the coupler from the GPS-9700 is slightly stronger in level allowing the Radio to lock to it instead of the internal reference. At this stage I cannot give any pricing or when it will be available.

https://www.minikits.com.au/index.php?route=common/home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    K6CLS likes this.
  10. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, I was not aware of the recall. I bought mine in 2012. I did hear that later production units maybe in 2017-2018 corrected the problem.