IC-9700 Still too expensive at $1450

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Dec 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

As somebody else said the UK prices are significantly more than US.

A few friends and I have been looking at 2m and above. Our old 1980's kit is either failed or getting flakey and with the years threats to 2m band getting increased operation would be good.

A lot of people are challenged when it comes to Satellite ops (never mind eme). Digital is "I think' fairly popular in larger cities but that is fm Handheld teritory in the main. CTCSS and digital have all but killed mobile op 2m here in the uk from what I can see further reducing vhf and up use.

Since 2008 fiscal crash the flatlining of salaries and fudging of finances has crushed things. So comparisons with 1990's prices are I think pretty irrelevant add to that that a lot of tech is software (SDR) and value is further stretched.

I am still looking but prices will have to fall on the 9700 for my cash to flow in the direction of what are cirrently dying bands.

N3AWS likes this.
  2. W9RDC

W9RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

The price is still several $100 too high for me, but that's mainly because I'm just not into the high bands or D-STAR at the moment. If I were, it would be justified. It looks like a fantastic radio. As it stands I'm much more likely to just purchase a mobile VHF/UHF radio for base station use.

3. W7OTL

W7OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought $1450 was about right. So I bought one. I'm digging it.

K8PG, K0UO and N3AWS like this.
  4. G0KDT

Wow now if the IC-9700 hit your price here in the UK then I would buy one tomorrow but at $2400 here its way too pricey.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That must be VAT or something that boosts up the price.

We don't have that here, but "most" places do have sales tax, and here in L.A. it's 9.5%. Big advantage in buying a lightly used rig from a private buyer: Avoiding the sales tax. Even if the lightly used rig sells for almost the same price as a new one, it's a 9.5% savings right off the bat.

6. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

All depends on what you are looking for. The IC-7300 has 6 meters which the IC-9700 does not. If your interests are all mode on 6 and 2 then an IC-7300 + 2 meter xverter comes in cheaper than an IC-9700.

JIm N3AWS

7. G0KDT

True it would $2000 without VAT ( or Value Added Trouble ) :).

Cheapest 2nd hand here I've seen is Equivalent $2000 too.