IC-9700 Still too expensive at $1450

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Dec 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is under $100, :eek:with shipping included.:rolleyes:

Because he only works repeaters, but wants a rig that looks like his 7300:confused::rolleyes:

K0UO likes this.
  2. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

Alternatively leave it in the box, in the trunk when you get home. Put car in garage & next time you're finished doing some yard work (to get brownie points) recover the box from the trunk and bring it indoors. When you get the 'death stare' brush off some imaginary dust and say "y'know I clean forgot how long this has been out in the garage. Guess I better fire it up and make sure it still works"

N3AWS and KA4DPO like this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom has government sales too. We used to buy Icom radios for SF teams, we bought a lot of them. They also make Aircraft radio systems, trunked systems with WiFi connectivity, and a bunch of other commercial and military stuff, that's how they go so big. One of the ways the military gets around the N0-Forn policy for tactical equipment is through Icom America.

As a matter of fact, Icom sells more non amateur radio equipment than Kenwood, and YAESU combined.

WA9SVD and W4NNF like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's interesting, and I never followed any of them and didn't know that.

I remember when Yaesu had a joint venture with Standard for several years and operated as "Vertex Standard" et al., they were quite big in commercial LMR; didn't realize so was Icom, and evidently still is.

It seems Kenwood may be going in the other direction. I recall lots of car stereos and some home stereo/entertainment stuff being "Kenwood" and quite popular years ago, but maybe not today. Don't seem to see them in that market any longer.

5. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, Motorola. As we like to say around here, "You can buy a better radio, but you can't spend more money." :p

I kid.. I have been using their APX line for many years, and they are very well built - and should be for the money. I also have a few Tait's and while they are not quite as rugged, they are quite acceptable for most uses, and a fraction of the price.

The Icom 9700 looks to be an amazing radio and an amazing price.

N3AWS and KA4DPO like this.
  8. WA9SVD

For a "slightly used" (in whose opinion??) " radio? With perhaps a few cosmetic blemishes, only some "original: accessories, no owner's manual, and unspecified shipping charges?:eek::rolleyes:
    Gimme a break. The buyer is (or would be) either the U.S. Government or Bill Gates. Bill has people that could do "much mo" better in his employ.

9. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

If it gets close to $1000 I'll probably bite.

10. WA9SVD

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, Standard was owned by Sony, and/or Marantz. Sadly, their products were 'Before their time," and didn't sell well in the U.S. market, but they had ideas. Their H-T's had a rudimentary "clone" function to other units that the QST review saw as useless.