ad: Amateur-1

IC-9700 Still too expensive at $1450

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Dec 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And THAT somehow applies to a V/UHF multimode transceiver?:confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's little doubt the 9700 is more expensive to produce than the 7300 though they share quite a few components. Also, far fewer 9700s will be sold than 7300s--that's just the nature of a VHF-UHF rig compared to an HF transceiver. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 9700 settle in at 1400 - 1500. Is that too expensive? It's impossible to say. I think that's an incredible price given its capabilities compared to the prices of VHF-UHF rigs over the years. But it's definitely different for everybody. For some, a new Lexus is affordable. For others, a used Kia is tough. ;)

K0UO, WA9SVD and KA0HCP like this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only do top of the line HF rigs have 6M, but so do most solid state amps. 500W or more really makes a difference when hunting for multi-hop E skip.

Nobody seems to have mentioned wanting to do EME with one here, so maybe the market for that is just too small.

1 person likes this.
  4. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very good point. Maybe it's more expensive to produce because the ROI is smaller, when calculating the general market for the rig.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure.

Kenwood has other business units unrelated to amateur radio; Yaesu does, too. Icom may serve a small LMR sector, I'm not sure, but it seems their primary business is actually amateur radio -- so all their overhead, from R&D to whoever cleans the floors and takes out the trash, might have to be covered by ham radio gear sales.

As such, selling a $1450 rig whose BOM might actually cost $750 or more can be a very losing proposition until they sell unit number 10,000 or something.

Same reason Elecraft and Flex stuff costs more. I have no clue what their material costs are, but all their overhead has to be covered by ham radio gear sales, and this is a very small and specialized market.

K0UO and (deleted member) like this.
  6. K7MYR

K7MYR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am with you here!

I don't know anyone that would complain about the cost of a Drake C-line from the 70's (even comparing to current equipment of the day!)

My C-line cost me $1150 in 1975 (aside from the fact that I still have it) when corrected to 2019 dollars comes to $5500 today.
    https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1975?amount=1150

Being able to get a piece of equipment for less than 1/4 of that amount that has FAR more capability is incredible!

Even the FULL suggested retail price of the IC-9700, ($2200) would be about $460 in 1975!
    https://www.in2013dollars.com/2019-dollars-in-1975?amount=2200

I believe one has to be careful when complaining about the cost of things today. For example, gasoline in the late 60's was in many places $0.35-0.40 per gallon! Lower in some states.

$0.35 in 1967 would be $2.70 now

If you look across the country and exclude West Coast states (where they have EXORBITANT taxes added) we're actually paying on average LESS for gas than back in the 60's!
    https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap

So that IC9700 for $1500 is an absolute bargain (if you want one!)

Merry Christmas Y'all!

Rick

G3ZPF, K0UO, KV6O and 3 others like this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

IT'S still comparing apples (IC-7300) And oranges (IC-9700.) TWO very different radios, to two VERY different markets.:rolleyes:

K0UO likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try reading my post again, OM. That's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

9. WB6DJI

WB6DJI Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC9700 is an incredible radio with a SDR Spectrum
    Scope for 144/432/1296 all mode radio and works great
    for weak signal, satellite and D-Star

Also has fast Ethernet LAN/WAN interface for Remote Control
    only found in the more expensive radio’s ( Not available in the IC7300 )

Can be locked to an External GPS 10MHz Reference for MoonBounce-EME-Meteor Scatter
    weak signal work ! ( Not available in the IC7300 )

Nothing out there compares or comes close to this radio for today’s price ~ $1400

That a bargain price !

100watt/75watt for VHF/UHF is ideal !!!!!

Another Spectacular Radio from Icom !!!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    WA9SVD likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page