IC-9700 Still too expensive at $1450

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Dec 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No. All true.

The car is a 2015 Nissan Note with a manual transmission and no power locks (it does have air conditioning though). It is tiny, but the back seat can hold 2 full-sized adults.

My wife is an avid thrift store shopper. She will go through hundreds of items and buy two or three things--and she enjoys doing it.

The water thing is true as well. To each his own, but I think that you have to be pretty thick to be willing to pay $4 for a Coke at a restaurant. Plus, I really do not mind drinking water.:)

Happiness and fiscal responsibility only go together well when one is willing to save on the things one does not really care about so that he can afford the things he does care about.

Nothing like getting trolled for telling the truth.

N9EAT, WD4ELG, N7UJU and 2 others like this.
  2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

It all fit in a Saturn sedan! Ten bands!
    Best DX from Mt Equiniox VT
    903 613 km 25 grids
    1296 613 km 28 grids
    2304 526 km 16 grids
    3456 419 km 12 grids
    5760 419 km 9 grids
    10G 352 km 15 grids

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

$2,352 + shipping equivalent in the UK .
    The dealers have it price-fixed between their cartell.
    Welcome to rip-off Britain.

Frank

K0UO likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I sure can't speak for Icom, but remember a very big market for them is "domestic" (JA) where 1.2 GHz is very heavily used. My very first trip to Tokyo many years ago I was astonished to find that 1.2 GHz FM hand-helds (at least) were owned by almost every ham I met and they used them every day -- they were many years "ahead" of the U.S. in terms of UHF spectrum usage.

They may also be thinking that "most" HF transceivers today include 6m at 100W, so a majority already have something for six meters. Hilltopping by backpacking dictates carrying stuff, so having 6m in the same rig with the higher bands would be a huge advantage...but most hilltopping (other than a lot of SOTA operations) for VHF-UHF contests is done with a motor vehicle, where there's room for another rig and weight doesn't matter. The big issue on 6m is antenna size! Backpacking a 6m beam, or even stuff to quickly assemble a Moxon, isn't so easy. Simple verticals and such won't make many contacts on six, even from a good location.

Like Zach described above, I've "Roved" a couple of times with 10 bands, 50 MHz through 10.3 GHz and if six meters opens for E-skip, it wins the grid award for sure; but if it doesn't, and it often doesn't, I can make as many contacts on 1.2 GHz as on 50 MHz. In January 2010 I "roved" with W6YLZ in his own vehicle and with his own station, so we were both all set on 10 bands and traveled together, but a much larger "pack" roved with N6NB and N6VI, and N6NB's lady friend W6TAI took a 10-band rover station out on her own and visited more grids than any of us. We caught a tropo duct Saturday night that produced zero signals on 6m, but 1.2 GHz was packed and just parked in one place in the San Joaquin Valley (not a great spot, but evidently good for ducts), I made contacts out to about 250 miles on 1.2 GHz, running 10W to a 23L loop yagi that's only about three feet long.

With some ducts, the higher the frequency, the better they work. We were making "random" contacts (not prearranged or "talked up" from lower frequency bands) on 10.3 GHz and 5.7 GHz.

5. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I could use that on my wife. "I only spent $19.23 for that radio."

N3AWS, WD4ELG and KP4SX like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Way better: Have it shipped to your office or workplace, or anywhere you can pick it up other than at home.

Unpack it there.

Bring rig without any box into the house, loudly proclaiming, "You won't believe what someone was throwing away.":)

W9FL and SV2HZF like this.
  7. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Why have two? Is it because of the missing cross-band repeat function?

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure why the "complaints." :confused:In 1995, a Kenwood TS-790A (2m/70 cm all-mode) was $1500 USD, with 23 cm module for an additional mere $500 (USD.) So IS the IC-9700 REALLY too expensive, :confused:especially if you convert around $2000 in 1995 prices to current day prices? IMHO, with it's limitations, it IS a bargain for the weak signal V/UHF and/or satellite aficionado. For the regular V/UHF operator who only uses FM and/or repeaters, :(it IS 1,000% overkill.:rolleyes:

N3AWS likes this.
  9. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The reason for two would be to have one dedicated to QTH operations and one dedicated to portable operations. With the features built into the IC-9700 (as well as a lot of work I have done myself), I can operate the full QTH rig remotely--meaning I could effectively operate from two grid-squares/counties/states/countries at the same time.

N3AWS and WD4ELG like this.
  10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, just like the FAX-Copy-Collate function is missing from the IC-9700! ;)

These type radios have never been intended as low end mobile units. They are high end, weak signal-Satellite-EME types.