IC-9700 Still too expensive at $1450

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WR3V, Dec 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It will never be close to the 7300 because Icom just ain't gonna sell as many of 'em.

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in a shack with a dirt floor, no running water, no indoor plumbing, and no insulation. The windows are made from old plastic tarps, and the roof is tar paper. I don't own a car but ride a mangy old donkey into town once in a while to barter stuff for cast offs at the Goodwill, and to get flour and salt for hardtack. I also chop my own wood for my stove made from a cast off 55 gallon drum.

I do however, have three IC-9700's, two 150 foot towers with stacked two meter and 440 arrays fed by 600 feet of 3/4 inch heliax. I have a third 90 foot tower with six phased quagis for 23 CM, all of the aforementioned have azimuth and elevation control. There is a fourth 150 footer that has my Hy Gain 11DX on it, and also anchors my 160/80 meter extended double zep antennas as well as an open wire fed, 128 foot flat top for 40 meters. I also have an FTDX-101MP and two IC-7610's, and four Dell 7920 towers with 50 inch displays to round out the shack.

Yep I'm livin the good life...............No one can say I don't use my money wisely.:rolleyes::)

KC1DR, WR2E, KE0YEU and 5 others like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't buy it then if you are not a Weak Signal person your really don't need it.
    It's not intended to be a 7300 it's a weak signal satellite Digital radio with Advanced features, any weak signal equipment that works effectively for eme, satellite, weak signal, digital including 1296, and cost quite a bit of money. And there's really no other equipment out there by any manufacturers that can compare. If you're awake signal person this is an absolute value when you compare it to the open ts-2000 or even the Yaesu 736 of 20 years ago

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And yet it is easily affordable with even a modest savings plan over 1 to 1 1/2 years.

5. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I seriously contemplated getting one, but the price point when it came out was ridiculous. Glad the radio gets mixed reviews as the price is dropping like a stone. Even though I have a 9100 the latest price has me thinking. No reason Icom couldn't have stuffed 6m and 220 in there as it would have added more value.

K2XT likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everybody has a different idea of "affordable," but I certainly consider the 9700 to be placed in the lower tier, not the mid tier of current transceivers.

N4UP likes this.
  7. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember what an all mode satellite rig used to cost? Then add a 1296Mhz module. Think something like the Yaesu FT736, The Icom 970, or a Kenwood TS790. This rig is better and cheaper. It is a bargain @ $1450.

I got 20 years out of my Yaesu FT736R, and sold it for half of what I purchased it for. That radio cost me $100 a year to own(28 cents a day), then I sold it for almost $1000 when I was done with it. If I buy a 9700, which I am contemplating, own it for 10 years, then throw it away when I am done with it, it only costs 40 cents a day to own. Of course I will recoup some of that when I sell it- so it will actually have a lower cost of ownership. This is how I justify it to the XYL and the frugal part of my brain.

Go for it! Log into your favorite ham dealer and add to cart! Use paypal credit to buy it and take 6 months to pay for it with zero interest. :D:):cool:

WA9SVD, K0UO, W4RAV and 1 other person like this.
  8. N5AL

N5AL Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, we used to dream about having a tar paper roof to protect our IC-9700 contest station! :)
    mp.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    KC1DR, W9FL, KA4DPO and 2 others like this.
  9. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

Got much 1.2 ghz in Ole Mexico?

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought my FT-736R new in 1987 when they first came out. Still have the sales receipt (it's stapled inside the manual).

The 736R ran 25W on 2m, 25W on 70cm. I added the 6m module (10W) and the 220 MHz module (25W), plus one other frill option...and <drum roll> it cost over $2500 in 1987 dollars. I actually still use it a bit and it still works fine.

The IC-9700 at $1450 is a steal by comparison...better performance, much higher power and includes 23cm! The 23cm "module" for the FT-736R was about $500 and I didn't buy it.

What I do "wish" is for Icom or "somebody" to come up with a real "Rover's Dream" VHF-UHF rig which includes 50/144/222/432/902/1296 MHz -- six popular VHF-UHF contest bands -- all in one rig, even if it was only 25W per band. Roving has become so incredibly popular, I can think of probably 200 "Rover" guys who would buy such a rig the first day it came to market. And then they'd spread the word, and 2000 more would buy it over the next year or so.

With those six bands and a vehicle loaded with small antennas, one can have an awful lot of fun; even more fun, perhaps, for "home station" ops who could add amplifiers and use bigger antennas.

Such a rig, if it sold for $2995, would be quite a bargain. I'd be one of the ones to buy it on the first day.

N4QX, KI6IPO and W3ATV like this.