IC-9700 Display Icon

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WB5PKB, Aug 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WB5PKB

WB5PKB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an ICOM IC-9700 and it has a red TX in a box on a black background in the upper left corner of the display. From reading the manual, it appears to be alerting that I have a frequency out of band but I cannot find it The display is showing a valid frequency and offset for a local repeater in the main display. I have looked at the band edge frequencies stored in the radio and they are valid for US operation. Suggestions?

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom IC-9700 Transceiver Manual
    https://www.icomjapan.com/uploads/support/manual/IC-9700_ENG_Basic_3.pdf
    ==
    Touch Screen Exclamations found on Page 1-5

TX : Transmitter Status Indicator
    WHITE on RED background : Radio Transmitting
    RED on BLACK background : Out of Band, Pages 3-6 thru 3-9 [Change in Radio Menus]
    GRAY on BLACK background : Transmission inhibited, Page 3-10
    ==
    Transmit settings, users can make adjustments to RF power, TX power Limit, Limit Power, and TX Delay by band.
    Basic receiver settings, like the Noise Blanker, Noise Reduction, and others can be tweaked by band with a dynamic Notch and Filter setup by band/mode.

3. WB5PKB

WB5PKB Ham Member QRZ Page

I read the manual again and found the answer on page 3-4 although it appears to conflict/add to the information from 1-5. From this, it appears that the Red TX on Black background is not a problem if it is a valid amateur frequency. It is a problem if it has a slash mark through it.

TX (Red on Black background) is displayed when you set an amateur radio
    frequency, and TX (Red on Black background with dotted line) is displayed
    when you set a frequency outside the Ham band, or
    outside your set Band Edges.

Thanks for putting me on the quest again. This is a complex radio coming from using a IC-271A since they were first sold.

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Extensive usage of microprocessors, permits multiple options & features,
    HOWEVER it adds complexity in navigating the MENU systems to set digital options.

5. NK8I

NK8I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would they design it to be that complicated? So three versions of a little icon are to communicate three separate things. :rolleyes:

AK5B likes this.