IC-7851 or Elecraft K4??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4PG, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I Have Operated a 7851 (had one at my station for about six weeks) and not that impressed over the 7800/ Flex 6700 or 990 Kenwood.
    I think the Icom SDR Radios has some real advantages over the Flex.

The Icom 1.2 Khz Roofing filter is the best
    When using an external monitor on the IC7610 both Spectrum scopes are comparable.

A K4D as been on order for over a year, in the mean time I just got two 7610s, I run dual diversity receive almost all the time.

Elecraft told me at Hamcation that they were trying to get the K4D screen to emulate the 7610, wow they're behind the times! Still waiting, two 7610s = one K4D IN PRICE when you add on all the stupid extras that should be in radio in first place.
    Actually the price, if you look at the information, is not totally set in concrete either, what a deal!!!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    W4HM likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd take the 7851. No ifs, ands, or buts. End of story, game over, zip up your fly. :)

I wanted one. Planned on one being my retirement rig. When time came to buy that rig I, however, I passed it by. Why? It is fantastic in every way. The top of Icom's superhet game.

Well, other than saving me about 6 - 7k, which I could apply to my bartab... Because in retirement I don't have a big tower. I don't have the stamina for marathon contest sessions anymore (I spent plenty of time dozing in my chair this past FD weekend--just ask my fellow ops ;) ). I like to work DX, but I'm not glued to the operating chair for ten hours a day. I like getting on CW for a nice ragchew in the AM. Checking into a net or two. Plinking way at 5 band DXCC.

The 7851? I'd never take advantage its capabilities. I settled instead on the IC 7610. I'll never use its capabilities--not all of them--either. But it's got a nice big display, sufficient knobs and buttons, and is a GOOD RADIO.

I will not naysay the quest for a 7851 by someone who needs--or just wants--one, though.

K4AGO likes this.
  3. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As an IC-7610 owner, I would recommend ruling out the IC-7610 fitting your needs before committing to a much higher priced radio. The IC-7610 is a fantastic radio. I absolutely love it. I also own a Flex 6400 and a Elecraft KX3. The IC-7610 is still by far my favorite radio.

The question is, what does the IC-7851 offer above the IC-7610 that will be worth the extra $9k specifically to you? The same question could be said for the Elecraft K4 since I'm sure it won't come within several thousand dollars of the IC-7851's price.

Good luck with your choice. No matter what rig you choose, you won't go wrong as they are all fantastic radios.

K0UO and W4NNF like this.
  4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good point. I'll have to look back at it but the Sherwood data I think is better with the 7851. Does that alone justify the extra expense?? Probably not but I will have to look more carefully at the 7610. I have previously owned a 7800 that did NOT have the 3rd roofing filter and my current TS-990 is a much better radio, but not as good as the 7851. The K4 will likely have as good a receiver performance as the 7851 but could be lacking in other aspects. Elecraft has yet to release the manual for the K4 as best I can tell so can't compare some of those other aspects of the rigs I like. I have played with the K4 at Dayton and Orlando and really liked it, especially the small footprint. The 7851 is over 50 lbs and a BIG radio. We shall see . . .

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would doubt very much you'll notice much/any difference between the 7610 and 7851 in receiver performance.

The K4 is an unknown factor since going on two years down the line it is still vaporware--prototypes or no. ;)

6. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

*cue entirely unhelpful post...

I have operated the IC-7851 at NR5M, a very sweet rig in terms of the huge screen and huge knobs. I love the massive VFO but even if money was no object at all, I probably wouldn't buy one. I think the SDRs today are extremely capable, but the unique hybrid that Yaesu did with the FTDX-101 would be my choice. If I was in the market for a higher end transceiver today and didn't want to wait until the K4 came out I would get the FTDX-101MP.

Because of course that wasn't an option in your original post, if I were you and wanted to play with a radio today I would get the IC-7851. If the 12K doesn't hurt your pocket book I see no reason not to. If you need a new toy. I guess the question is, how much would it hurt the pocket book to buy the IC-7851 today and then a K4 next year if it is out and available?

Again, unhelpful probably but if it was me, and it wasn't feasible to just buy a K4 next year if I bought an IC-7851 and I already had a capable rig and tower and SteppIR as you do then I would probably enjoy my current set-up until the K4 came out. If you are worried the K4 won't be out next year then go back to my previous thought and get the IC-7851 :)

7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Serious? I thought elecraft was strong...

8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you better buy that 7851 because if you don't, by the time the K4 comes out Icom will have a IC7852 anyway. Might as well get on the air with a good radio now

9. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the point was that Made in America is a dying breed.

K1VSK likes this.
  10. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sorry, but that's funny....

K0UO likes this.