IC-7851 or Elecraft K4??

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4PG, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

While I realize this may sound a bit pretentious, it's not my intent. We all have different desires and financial abilities so please respect that.

I've had the same HF rig now since 2013 and have the itch to upgrade. I've been looking at the K4 for some time now but this dang pandemic has put their ability to get the rig in production set back for some time. While they predict late July or August, the recent surge in cases make me think that will not happen.

So I've been pondering whether to make the rather large purchase of the IC-7851 or wait even longer for the K4. We don't have Sherwood data on the K4 but it MUST be at least if not better than the K3, which is a pretty darn good receiver itself.

What do YOU think?? If you had the choice between the two, what would YOU do?? I've been reading all the reviews of the 7851 and obviously they are stellar. I had an old 7800 and loved it but it seems the 7851 is a major upgrade.

Thoughts??

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If it were me I would wait to see reviews on the K4 and perhaps try one someplace to compare to the Icom, especially for that sort of money. I waited for several years after release to get my K3 which was good as the early bugs were fixed in production in the first year or two.

Although with Elecraft’s track record maybe that’s not necessary. I expect the K4 will have outstanding support and be fixable and upgradable in the field to a large degree, as are their other radios.

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood. Just because.

G3ZPF and K9ASE like this.
  4. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IC-7851 is on sale at DX Engineering for $11,998.95.

I see it on other (will remain unnamed) websites for as high as $17,000.00

So, the $12,000.00 price is a (relative) bargain.

The KX4... who knows when, or if?

K0UO likes this.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't imagine a scenario in which the K4 HD model performance isn't equivalent to, if not better than the Icom which is roughly twice the price. Seems like it's an easy choice if you can manage the instant gratification expectation.

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yea, that's kinda my thought. I admit I'm bad about the "instant gratification" thing but I too think the K4 HD will likely be as good if not better than the Icom when Sherwood is able to get his hands on one. AND for a lot less money!! I've played a bit with the K4 at Dayton last year and Orlando this year and really liked it. PLUS it's got a small footprint and doesn't weigh a ton. Decisions, decisions . . .

WB3EYB likes this.
  7. K1VSK

Those kind of decisions are fun. In a toss-up, you might consider one over the other simply based on Elecraft being a dying breed, i.e., an American company.

8. VA2SOB

VA2SOB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are right about dying company.

K4 is an excellent rig but it is late in the SDR business. Remote operation, software, etc. it is taking money money and buyers. I have a KX3 and a PX3 I think that you should go with ICOM.
    Elecraft could go well ahead with a kind of KX4 or full SDR but I am crossing my fingers.

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Save your money $$$$$ and buy a IC7610 and get on the AIR.

WE may all go SK with CV19 before the K4D hits the market.

K7MH, K1OIK, K1SZO and 2 others like this.
  10. K1VSK

Neither of those is the issue here.

W4PG likes this.