IC 7610 Randomly Restarting using FT8 at 100 Watts

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC1KDG, Sep 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Also from the WSJT-X manual Introduction section:
    "On the HF bands, world-wide QSOs are possible using power levels of a few watts and compromise antennas. On VHF bands and higher, QSOs are possible (by EME and other propagation types) at signal levels 10 to 15 dB below those required for CW."

If that's not clear enough, in the "9.4 Pre QSO Checklist" section, there's a tip on setting up your radio:
    "Under most HF propagation conditions, QRP is the norm."

I understand that theory and practice are 2 different things, but why is it so hard to accept that the genesis of all the JT/FT modes was to provide a means of world-wide communications with QRP power levels?

2. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

James (N2SUB):

First, I'll agree to just about anything you say if you'll play "Sultans of Swing" for me, locally. :) Looks like you've got a tight group of friends/musicians - very cool.

Regarding FT-8/QRP

Not that it makes much difference... but....

The roots of these modes is EME and meteor scatter, where maximum QRO power levels, high performance antenna arrays and enormous ERP are the norm. They are error correcting high Eb weak signal modes (i.e. RX, not TX), not QRP (TX) modes, whatever you. the mode creators or anyone else wishes them to be. And the JT/FT modes are clearly intended as a means to facilitate and automate world wide CONTACTS. Real communications (Hi! I'm Joe. I'm in Montana and have a cat named "Barney") was NEVER in the mix for these modes. Although some are evolving them to be.

With JT-65, JT-9 and FT-8, under even modestly good propagation conditions, on the right band, 1, 5, 10 or 25 watts may very well be all that is requred to close the link in a QSO. And that's all that should be used, under FCC direction. But within the current (record low) solar activity/propagation cycle, HF contacts often require much higher power levels to close the link, especially on the higher bands, where the MUF rarely reaches. So for those of us that STILL like to make contacts, DX or otherwise, and STILL like to explore the upper end of the HF bands, QRO seems to work. And is permitted.

But if you like the challenge of adding QRP to the mix - by all means, do it, and more power to you (no pun intended). This is a hobby - whatever you enjoy and is within common courtesy is fair game.

I do believe that beginners should start out at about 25 watts, simply because they will not have exhausted the easier contacts, will make their mistakes with a power level that has less consequences and will not have to learn how and how NOT to use and amplifier while also learning to configure and operate the digital modes. This is not gospel, just my opinion.

Just banged off about 20 contavts on 17M with FT8, BTW - while writing this. As I said, it's made for making contacts - so I'm "rag-chewing" with YOU! :)

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And, again, you're correct. But it's also understood most Moonbouncers are not (purposefully) using QRP power levels. They use what they need to use with their gear to get the job done. ;)

At any rate, Elvis left that building some time ago. If people want to run more than a few watts on FT8, have at it. 50-watts seems about right for me right now. The key is having a clean signal when you do it. :)

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Clean is King. :)

5. OH6MR

OH6MR Ham Member QRZ Page

This is really interesting. I got the same feature to my ftdx3000 starting from last week and it is getting worse. I run mainly FT8, so I have not tried other modes yet.

6. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What "feature" are you referring to and what is getting worse?

7. OH6MR

I had the same kind of booting problem. But now with more powerful power, that is gone since yesterday. I think this is related to processor timing coming voltage critical when junction temperature rise.

8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if there is a failing temperature sensor. If you watch the Metering screen while the problem is happening, do you see low voltage or high temperature?

9. OH6MR

I don't think it was sensor. With new power I ran about 60 QSO in three hours and no problem even rig was getting pretty warm. With the more powerful power voltage drop was 0.4V during TX and no problems. Now I even added sense lines to power and now there is no voltage drop during TX. When I know the problem, I need to measure the old power.

My advice to this 7610 problem is to get a new power and one with sense lines.

KD2ACO likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Remote voltage sense is nice.

A shorter power cord with less voltage drop is better.