IC-7610 or FTDX101D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VK4DX, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VK4DX

VK4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be in the market for a new radio soon and I'm tossing between IC-7610 and the new FTDX101D.

I don't see many reviews on 101D yet, a bit surprised by this, but what can you do.

From what I see in rig specifications, both are pretty similar, the displays are both great and I don't really care about Yaesu's 3D graph, the normal 2D is perfectly fine. Icom looks a bit nicer but 101D seems to be built like a Mercedes Benz. I guess both radios are about the same when it comes to digital modes (I hope as easy to set up as IC-7300). They both cost about the same here in Australia.

I'm not interested in external monitors, but I am interested in network connectivity. I think someone mentioned that IC-7610 can be set up to remotely operate another IC-7610 connected via network or internet, is this true and can FTDX101D do something like this?

What I'm mostly interested in is low band dx-ing (80-30m), mostly CW. My QTH is a VERY noisy suburban place, so a good NB and NR are a big advantage. I've seen quite a few reviews of IC-7610, but most are testing NR on relatively strong signals, not on noise-level weak signals. I have seen only one NR example on 101D and that was on an S9 signal.

Just as a reference, I have an FTDX3000 and its NR is really, really good (waaaay better that IC-7300) and I'm hoping that both these radios would be another notch up with their NR.

I guess this is mostly the question for those who own the new 101D and also have owned the IC7610 - what is your experience and comparison between these two radios?

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Yaesu FTdx-101D just topped the list of best receiver to date on Sherwood Engineering receiver test list for close in signal performance. Likely has at least the same quality noise blanker as the FTdx-3000 if not even better. I vote the FTdx-101D.

K7GQ likes this.