IC-7610 or FTDX101D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VK4DX, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK4DX

VK4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be in the market for a new radio soon and I'm tossing between IC-7610 and the new FTDX101D.

I don't see many reviews on 101D yet, a bit surprised by this, but what can you do.

From what I see in rig specifications, both are pretty similar, the displays are both great and I don't really care about Yaesu's 3D graph, the normal 2D is perfectly fine. Icom looks a bit nicer but 101D seems to be built like a Mercedes Benz. I guess both radios are about the same when it comes to digital modes (I hope as easy to set up as IC-7300). They both cost about the same here in Australia.

I'm not interested in external monitors, but I am interested in network connectivity. I think someone mentioned that IC-7610 can be set up to remotely operate another IC-7610 connected via network or internet, is this true and can FTDX101D do something like this?

What I'm mostly interested in is low band dx-ing (80-30m), mostly CW. My QTH is a VERY noisy suburban place, so a good NB and NR are a big advantage. I've seen quite a few reviews of IC-7610, but most are testing NR on relatively strong signals, not on noise-level weak signals. I have seen only one NR example on 101D and that was on an S9 signal.

Just as a reference, I have an FTDX3000 and its NR is really, really good (waaaay better that IC-7300) and I'm hoping that both these radios would be another notch up with their NR.

I guess this is mostly the question for those who own the new 101D and also have owned the IC7610 - what is your experience and comparison between these two radios?

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Yaesu FTdx-101D just topped the list of best receiver to date on Sherwood Engineering receiver test list for close in signal performance. Likely has at least the same quality noise blanker as the FTdx-3000 if not even better. I vote the FTdx-101D.

KA0HCP and K7GQ like this.
  3. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both the '7610 and '101D. Overall, the NR on CW is better on the Yaesu. They both tend to lose effectiveness on the very weakest of signals. APF is excellent on both but I'd give the edge to the Yaesu. The FTdx101D 2D scope beats the the Icom hands down, the reason being received signal amplitude is head and shoulders over the '7610. Averaging is missing on the Yaesu however with proper adjustment I find the FTdx101D's real time 2D scope my first choice. The 3D scope is icing on the cake; the time axis provides a very entertaining view of QSB. I have no local noise so can't comment on the noise blanker.

I enjoy both radios...but the IC-7610 is now my backup radio.

John K7FD

4. K2RB

K2RB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have experimented with both radios. The Icom was a disappointment to me because the pandaptor is inferior to the 101D. I did sell the Icom 7610 fairly quickly and have had the 101 since Dayton. It did go back for service, but they ended up sending me a new radio because the front end issue needed to go back to Japan for review. The new radio has the overdrive issue fixed and I had 3 filters installed. It is a great radio, but there is a lot to learn. Very different from my previous Yaesu radio's. I am selling the 101D because I truly enjoy my Flex 6600M and the computer style of operating. Performance wise they are very close so it really is a matter of personal taste. Bottom line the Yaesu, in my opinion is a better radio. 73's Rick, K2RB

5. KJ4PBW

KJ4PBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to deviate slightly, I'm wondering if anyone had a comparison between the 101 and the Kenwood 890. Feature set, newness and price are similar.

6. N3RTD

N3RTD Ham Member QRZ Page

The ts 890 only has one receiver and doesn't come close to the scopes on either the Icom or Yaesu. The Yaesu is the best of all three. Mine is all I use now the others are now back ups

7. KY3W

KY3W Ham Member QRZ Page

According to Sherwoods notes on the 101D it has pretty bad ALC overshoot. Peaking as high as 180W on his test rig. That's amazing considering it's a 100W transceiver. I think Yaesu in general has the dirtiest transmitters but they all have issues.

I've been disappointed in Icom scopes since the 7600. You simply can't see weak signals whereas I can on a P3 and some others. This makes it useless for weak signal searching. The 890 is supposed to be the nicest scope out of the 101, 7610, 890.

The 890 has poor NR and NB.

I would've bought a 7610 despite the scopes failings because it has more capability than the 7600 but the display issue made me steer clear.

I'm also glad I waited on a K3S. I think the K4 will be fine for most of the operating I do.

Dave

8. N3RTD

They fixed the ALC overshoot fairly quickly. And all sold radios that wanted the issue fixed got it done. Mine has had all updates and issues resolved by Yaesu in california and is working flawlessly. Remember all three of the big tree have had this issue. But also remember Yaesu is fast to fix it. Plus as far as nicest scope I sat in front of all three and none beat the Yaesu FTDX 101D, as far as I can tell. They are all clunky compared to the 101, plus the 3d scope really is great giving you a different perspective. Some don't understand it but when given a chance and time to see what it offers it is amazing.

9. N3RTD

As far as dirty transmitters go, the sherwood test, the latest revealed that the 101D has the cleanest transmitter out of them all with the ts890 as a close second. So when setup properly Yaesu is clean. The real trouble is people do not read the manual and do not know how to setup the audio and amplifier properly. Plus the dirtiest has always been Icom. Again if Yaesu rigs were setup properly they are clean. I have been using Yaesu for decades and always told how clean they were given unsolicited audio reports. But I set them up properly using an oscilloscope and metering. People today put all knobs to the right plus they overdrive their amplifiers, putting 100 watts in making them create spurious emissions. So the blame most of the time is the operator not the radio. I heard a fellow everyday using a K3s bragging how clean it tested by ARRL, but he was 6kc wide bleeding me everyday. When I alerted him to that fact he repeatedly denied it and said it was more likely it was my receiver, he told that to everyone who complained and some of those were using the latest flex radios and other high end receivers , Which were many operators. So here is the point , clean transmitters are clean if setup properly. This guy had his radio overdriving his amplifier because he had his mic gain too high and power level exciting the amp too high. And he was so unteachable he refused to accept the 100 operators telling him he is 6 kc wide. And their receivers were absolutely very good and able to reject QRM, but his was Spurious trash being spewed out which is very difficult to mitigate. Read the manual and set it up properly, and this goes for all transceivers

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  10. KY3W

KY3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Some Icoms aren't too good on SSB, many having opposite SB hash. But then again, I never heard key clicks on an Icom. I think Yaesu holds the license on that.