IC-7600 or IC-7300(New)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KK4YDR, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

Working DX has got nothing to do with the radio, but realu nothing.
    On my President Lincoln 10 mtr radio and my Zetagi 2 x EL509 amp and my 5 element monoband beam I worked all the DX I ever wanted.

DX has got to do with a great operator and good antenna systems, you do not want to know how many big amped high priced tranciever stations I have beaten in 40 mtr DX with my simple FT857D and my full size half wave vertical.

Working DX has also got an awfull lot to do with knowing conditions and propagation on different times and bands.

Believe me if you do an honoust compare between a filtered up TS480S and a IC7600 you will not hear a single station on the 7600 that your TS480S doesn't hear.
    But with the TS480SAT with 2 optional filters you will probably keep 2000 dollars in the pocket.

A colour screen doesnt ad any performance to the reciever and transmitter at all, tons of buttons do not either, but they only eat a very large portion of the selling price of a tranciever.

The IC7600 has a very average reciever, but a good transmitter.
    A TS590SG reciever is better, and then again the antenna will be much more important to the overall performance of your station.

Also know that reciever performance of the TS590SG is much better , but only in CW or narrow digital modes and only in very crowded conditions in a big contest on a 20, 40, 80 or 160 band.

You are confusing working DX with playing around with knob toys and gadgets.

The least important factor in DX is your rig, most important factors are:
    QRM on your location from man made electronic stuff that spoils your recieving.
    Antenna performance.
    Operators knowledge.

73 Jos

GM1FLQ likes this.
  2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not confusing anything. I asked about two specific radios. It doesn't mean I am going to get either or. I am only asking what people think of them.

As far as a base transceiver is concerned. I want a decent receiver to chase DX, learn to contest, and have a band scope to scan the band without having to continuously wheel back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. I want to work digital modes with out having to add a new PC, cabling, sound card interfaces, and all kinds of extra junk where and if possible.

I used to own an IC-7000 and even the limited bandscope to me was an awesome feature. However, other respected fellow mobile operators have told me things like the TS480 and Kenwood looks like cheap half a$$ed displays and I have to agree. A radio does need to display enough information to satisfy a user's needs. I do not like the way the TS480 faceplate is really NOT made for a base/desk mount. It is made for a truck or a car at least from what I have ascertained. And the control face is awful looking.

I own an FT-857D and an FT-817ND. I like the 817ND for it's purpose but I am beginning to hate the FT857D with its crap AF dsp which is outdated. over bearing noise reception and limited audio tuning capabilities even with filters. I do use it mobile as well as base sometimes.

And your comments about chasing DX with your CB radio.... that's great but don't be so snappy to think that I automatically have discounted antenna and other factors. I have not clearly stated what I do or don't have and therefore you truly can't make that assessment of me and it's unfair.

Also where do you get that the receiver is not that great in the 7600? I am not defending a radio I have not owned and barely tried out. I am curious? I have read eham reviews and they seem to shine. page after page after page of 5/5 reviews about how the radio just rock and rolls. Again not defending something I don't own.

3. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

"I used to own an IC-7000 and even the limited bandscope to me was an awesome feature. However, other respected fellow mobile operators have told me things like the TS480 and Kenwood looks like cheap half a$$ed displays and I have to agree. A radio does need to display enough information to satisfy a user's needs. I do not like the way the TS480 faceplate is really NOT made for a base/desk mount. It is made for a truck or a car at least from what I have ascertained. And the control face is awful looking."

Yes and...........

1. IC7000, bandscope, awesome feature........but crap radio well known for it's overheating and failure.

2. TS480 and Kenwood cheap half a$$ed displays.........but they don't have a history of failing like your glitzy Icom ones have.

3. Respected fellow mobile operators........wouldn't get my respect or that of I suspect the more knowledgable coming away with drivel like that.

4. Enough information.........just how much do you need, it's quality not quantity that counts.
    The information on the screens you are talking about is superfluous marketing to draw in the easily impressed and I have to say does a fine job when you read the nonsense on your hallowed eham.

5. TS480 faceplate, not made for base/desk mount........and why would that be, there are different mounting options available for it that make base/desk mounting a quite suitable option.

6. Awful looking.......just as I suspected you already know what you want - looks, glitz, loads of knobs and buttons, fine if that's your bag go ahead but don't then say that you are looking for advice on solid performers and then when you get it tell us our suggestions can be described with terms like "awful", "half a$$ed", not enough visual information and not suitable for base use.

Go waste somebody elses time........like your "respected" fellow mobile operators, they've got wonderful advice for big kids that like playing with knobs and buttons.

PA1ZP has got you spot on.

4. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sherwood Engineering's receiver table. IT has a 2kHz Dynamic Range of 78dB which is the same as a Kenwood TS480 and disgusting for a radio that costs $2999. The Kenwood TS590SG beats that by 14dB. That means with the TS590 you can hear a weak station next to a strong one 2S points weaker than you could with the Icom 7600.

Flexradio Flex 6300 or 6500. Unlike the Icom the Flex 6500 can display the entirety of HF all at once and the Flex 6500 can show four separate HF bands in four separate panadapters. It also does completely full duplex operation if you also use a RX antenna so you can be monitoring one band whilst you're simultaneously transmitting on another - it doesn't cut out the receive. Currently that's only possible on other radios when using two separate radios. Even the Icom 7850 can't do it. It also has built in digital voice and will do DSTAR with a USB dongle plugged in the back of the radio (due to licensing issues).

5. KK4YDR

PA1 not so much but GM1FLQ....

No its not what I want. What I wanted was for someone to answer my question without being a typical asshat dick like both of you have been. Judging someone, putting words in peoples mouth, etc... you are for lack of a better word a total a$$ hole and are soley THE centralized problem with this hobby. You might have had Icom piss in your corn flakes but I have not.

M0GVZ answered exactly what I was looking for. Your replies were unwarranted, unnecessary, typical overseas spit with as much value as your hollow and superfulous personalities.

Im also American Irish and completely understand why a Scot like you hates himself, life, and his fellow human being. Its ok. Not everyone can be as hate filled as people like you, Especially tonthe point of being small enough to show hatred for someone over askong a question about a damn ham radio.

6. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

"M0GVZ answered exactly what I was looking for".........."Just based on old timer experience"........all of it gained from way back in the old days of 2009 and way cleverer than PA1 and myself cause he can, all at the same time, talk on one band while listening to another whilst also watching four separate panadapters.....wow.

73s and be sure you have a nice day now.

7. KK4YDR

You have been a dick about it. That is the problem here. And the saddest part of all is that your blind to it and absolutely clueless how awful you look to other people when you speak. Pride always precedes the fall sir!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.