IC-756 ProIII vs Ten-Tec

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WD6S, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WD6S

WD6S Ham Member QRZ Page

Santa has decided to be generous with me this year since I earned my general and extra in May and June (I'm an extra-lite). I've been using an IC-7000 since July and love it, but I want a "real" base station xcvr. All my VHF radios are ICOM, and I have come to think they are my "gold standard" for transceivers. But my "buy American" instincts say I should consider the Ten-Tec Omni VII or Orion II- after all what could be more American than something built on Dolly Parton Highway?

I'd like to hear opinions, pros&cons, or comparisons of these choices:

1: IC-756 Pro III vs Orion II
    2: IC-756 Pro III vs Omni VII

Thanks,
    Bob

2. N8GTP

N8GTP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in somewhat of the same boat, I just passed my General CSCE and looking for info about the 756 Pro III so far all I can find are rave reviews so I'll be watching this one closely; thanks for posting it! [​IMG]

3. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member QRZ Page

My main HF is a Kenwood TS-870SAT, and my 2nd/digital radio is an Icom 746Pro. I was thinking about a Pro III, but I may wait until they come out with one that's software updatable, and then decide if I then want a Pro III at probably $1500 (instead of $2200 today), or if I want to get whatever the new software-updatable Icom is.

The 7800 is $10K, then 7700 is going to be what, like $6500? Where's Icom's new $2500 rig?

4. W1SMC

W1SMC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had my Orion II for almost two years now and have never been happier.

I went back and forth with the ICOM / Yeasu / Ten Tec but I'm glad I went with the O2.

It's a very solid rig and you can't get a better rcvr.

You may want to look at the K3 however. I'm thinking of getting one sometime next year after looking at the reviews. The price is great and it is suppose to have a great rcvr too.

I must say though, I had a look at the 7800 at HRO and it's a nice looking rig. (My ex-wife was nice looking on the outside too .... turned out to be the devil incarnate. And ended up costing me more than 10K.)

I did have a TS950SDX back in the early 90's .... that was another great rig.

Glad I went American though.

Good luck.

5. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

756 by a mile. Ten-Tecs are nice but I just don't feel that they are worth the prices they charge.

Oh, and the labor may be US, but the parts come from the same Taiwanese and Chinese factories that the Icom parts do.

6. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom all the way.

The only people that seem to hate them are the ESSBers because they can't open up the TX passband.

7. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Awww....boo hoo....

8. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

Well, I don't have the Pro III (just Pro) but cannot justify the cost as it works equally well. I have had Ten Tec and it may be a long time before I get another. Quality control issues abound with Ten Tec radios. Read the reviews on the Omnis and Jupiter.

I would stick with the ICOM. Better re-sale value too. Kinda Chevy vs Dodge.

9. AE5BN

AE5BN Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of folks around here swear by the Pro's.

10. WZ0O

WZ0O Ham Member QRZ Page

How about the FT2000 ? After using both the 756 III and the FT 2000 the 2k won for me. The receiver is much better for me then the Icom but the 756 is a nice rig.
    One thing to understand none of these rigs are plug and play. READ THE MANUAL. In fact down load the manuals from there web sites and check them out before you buy.
    The folks at AES Orlando had both rigs set up side by side and I went back and forth for several hrs before I spent my money. I am happy with my choice but still believe they are all good radios. What ever you pick enjoy.
    Have a good holiday 73

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.