IC 756 PRO 2 CW Tune AMP

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KF5NAJ, Feb 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KF5NAJ

KF5NAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking for a way to tune my Dentron MLA-1200 with a string of CW dots
    Is there a way other then setting up the Electronic Keyer as shown in the manual
    Radio is a IC 756Pro 2

Thank you

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of these is somewhat more effective and once connected to the KEY jack of your rig (set to "hand key" operation, not using the internal electronic keyer in the rig), it pulses the rig for amplifier tuning, keys the rig and the amplifier, and once you're done you push the button again and it all stops. Then just use the rig on SSB, if that was the intention. It doesn't use the rig's electronic keyer, and no actual "key" is required at all.

http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ATP-102

KG7E likes this.
  3. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

How about using AM mode with no modulation?

4. KF5NAJ

I would like to use the keyer in the Radio

What is the difference to the amp between using AM and CW key down
    Would a keyer (string of dots) be easier on the tube

5. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer to tune my amp with a continuous input. With mic gain at zero, AM or FM mode works for me.

6. KF5NAJ

A pulser or pecker is supposed to be easier on the tube then continuous input tuning
    My amp has an expensive or impossible t0 replace tube and I want to make it last

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is easier on the tube as it allows "full power" tuning with much less dissipation and heating.

The CW keyer in the rig with a "string of dits" provides about a 50% duty cycle, but a real "pecker" product like the Ameritron one can be turned down to a much lower duty cycle while still providing the same peak power and tuning points. That's the reason people use them.

8. KF5NAJ

I ordered a A102 today

Thank you

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no difference.

A pulse-tune/string of dots might be easier on the tubes, but if you know how to tune your amp and don't get excessive with the key down time, there's really no need to worry about it.