ad: Flexradio-1

IC-756 (non-Pro) display update project

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by WB4IUY, Sep 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB4IUY

WB4IUY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, once again, my Icom IC-756 display has started to fail. The horizontal lines going across the screen from time to time are driving my crazy. You can run the rig from Ham Radio Deluxe, but this early rig doesn't have the command structure for you to be able to control everything remotely...besides, it's kinda stupid to have a nice rig like this and have to run it in limp mode. I LOVE the radio, but this one bug seems to plague a lot of early IC-756 users. The display from the Pro-models won't work, and Icom has long since stopped supporting this radio with displays. A Richard in the Netherlands was making a kit to convert it to another display type that had lesser contrast, but I think he has stopped making that kit.

After a bit of research, I decided to get busy and git'r done myself. I've located a display with everything I think I need to make this happen. Here's pics of the latest failing display in the rig, the new unit, and pic from the mfg in one of it's applications. I'll set this up with an inverted display so the background is blue and the text is white (like in the mfg photo), I think it'll be easier for me to look at. I'll post more info and photos shortly as this progresses...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KL7SG

KL7SG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just replaced mine about a year ago.
    I got it from a guy in Europe. It will take me a day to find the info. Once I find it I will post it here. Cost is about $275.00 US Dollars

3. KL7SG

Just checked and he is not making the kit anymore.

4. WB4IUY

Yep, that was the same guy I posted "Richard in the Netherlands was making a kit to convert it to another display type that had lesser contrast, but I think he has stopped making that kit." in the original post. I'm moving along pretty well with this new display, and I think it's gonna look great with high contrast between colors. I'll post some pics once I get the interface ironed out.

5. KL7SG

Too bad, the 756 is a great radio. But, you should be able to get the display replacement figured out. I looked at it a year ago and didn't have the time to figure out a replacement.

6. WB4IUY

I've got this almost worked out, tinkering with a contrast control circuit for it now. Gonna look good, can't wait!

7. K4ROO

K4ROO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey there, I also have a 756 with the lined display, by any chance is that replacement a Winstar WG320240D-TMI-TZ? If so where did you get it from? I am having issues trying to get one, I emailed the manufacture, but have yet to hear back.

8. WB4IUY

The Winstar display was tough to get, and expensive. I've redesigned the display around a different and less expensive display model, and have it working. I'm working on a little interface board that I can reproduce now, should have it all worked out over the winter. Spare time has been very limited with my regular job working me so much.

9. K4ROO

K4ROO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't suppose you could share any of your research? Such as part number and what not? Do you plan to sell the interface board?

10. WB4IUY

Not yet. I've done a bunch of work on this so far, trying to decide if I want to offer a kit or not. One of my sons makes PC boards, so I was initially planning to build and my own kits, and offer a replacement service for them from my shop. I'll be posting updates on this as it progresses.

N0SYA likes this.