IC-751A glitch

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K6CPO, Dec 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

My iCom IC-751A has developed a glitch and I have no idea what might be causing it.

Shortly after I obtained the radio, I read about the volatile memory and how the radio would quit operating if the soldered-in coin battery ever died. I replace the board with a non-volatile memory board made by Piexx and the radio operated flawlessly afterwards. Now it's developed an issue with the programmable frequency memories in that I can program a memory and it will remain in memory until I program another memory channel. When I program another memory channel, the first one I programmed disappears. It's like it will hold only one channel instead of the 32 channels it's designed to.

I replace the battery on the Piexx board and the problem still exists. It's not a major issue as the radio still operates just fine in VFO mode and I have the external keypad that allows quick entering of frequencies.

Anyone else ever have the problem and, if so, how did you cure it?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

People get old and lose short-term memory.

Your board may have the same issue. Try speaking to it in a slow and understanding voice.:)

K6CPO likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to check: you are selecting a different memory number each time, right?

I would exercise the connectors to the Piexx board (and also the other end if available without too much disassembly) and see if that fixes it.