IC-735 Remote Control?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W8EJO, May 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8EJO

W8EJO Ham Member QRZ Page

Is anyone here successfully remote controlling an IC-735? If so what is your set-up?

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you talking a simple computer to radio (CI-V) connection or a fully remote operation, like over the internet?

I have been running my IC-735 from a computer for years. But the IC-735 has a lot of limitations. The CI-V command structure is not very big, so there are many things that can't be controlled via CI-V. Mostly, all you can do with CI-V is change the mode, band, and frequency. Everything else requires manual intervention.

Among other issues, there isn't a CI-V command to put the IC-735 into the transmit mode. I use a separate serial port interface to toggle the PTT, via the rear accessory connector. Also, if you use the rear accessory connectors for audio input, the VOX is bypassed. To have access to the VOX you could use the Microphone connector. However, VOX Gain and Delay can not be remotely adjusted through CI-V. The audio out, from the rear accessory connectors is "Line Level" and the level is not adjustable. You would have to control the audio from the computer. None of the slide controls are manageable through CI-V.

3. W8EJO

Martin

I need full remote operation over the internet. Sounds like its not capable. I have one location with inadequate antenna space & second location with plenty of space. I's like to put radio at second location & remotely control it via internet.

Do you know what 100 watt (or more) radio with decent AM ( I like 75 & 40 AM) can do remote control? Earlier & cheaper the better.

Thanks for info.

Terry
    W8EJO

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

if all you are going to do is run 100w (really 25w carrier) and AM all the time, but need to change frequencies, the 735 will do it. As mentioned above, you can remotely set the mode and frequency, but not output power.

5. W8EJO

Well that should be adequate. I also work CW & SSB and work multiple bands & frequencies.

What outboard equipment would I need (i.e., PC/rig interface, software, cabling, etc.)?

6. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

These days CI-V to USB interfaces are inexpensive. If you want a fun project,build the CI-V interface described in the above link. I built several and they work really well. Requires a real serial port.

That goes between the 735 and the PC.

Use fldigi for the user interface software, and rigctl on the remote system to control the IC-735. IC-735 serial interface runs at 1200 baud, 8N1 (bits/parity/stopbits).

Many options for remote software to get your voice and the spkr sound off the 735, to your house. I can't recommend any one or anotherm, my knowledge is dated. Hopefully folks will post with their favorite sound software.

By the way, none of this is particular to the 735, and the software will all run on a $30 Raspberry Pi computer which can sit quietly in the corner. No need for a full PC running Windows or whatever.