IC-7300 Weird Problem

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Deluxe - HRD' started by W5JPT, Aug 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I finally got HRD to recognize my new IC-7300 but when I load HRD, the radio immediately goes into TX mode. Only by exiting HRD will the radio return to RX. The "TX" button on HRD is shown depressed and pressing it does not cancel the TX.

2. W5JPT

Disregard. For some reason it is working now. It must have been a short between my mic and chair.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not leave it unattended. :eek:

When you reboot your computer with everything connected, Does the radio go into TX when HRD starts ?

Have Fun.

4. W5JPT

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to see, which is killing me to have to wait.:) I'm encountering other issues connecting to HRD and WSJT-X but I am sure that has to do with my not having everything set up correctly or yet. I'll take care of all that tomorrow night. So far, I am loving this rig.

5. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In wsjt-x handshake must be set to none. If it gets set to hardware, that will cause an immediate TX on startup. Below is what I use in wsjt-x. Split operation can be either rig or fake it depending on your preference.

ic7300.jpg

6. W5JPT

Thank you, Gary. I'll double check my settings against yours. I am sure the Split Operation is not set like yours so I will need to change that for sure.

7. KG5THG

Your welcome. Hope it helps. The split operation is up to you. For grins, I tried using rig with msk144 and it worked great as it set vof a and vof b and went into split operation mode at the radio level. I opted to stay with fake it so I don't get confused if the radio somehow gets left in split and I miss it and wonder why my contact can't hear me while all the digital guys are wondering where all this QRM is coming from.

8. K4VLF

K4VLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Be advised that due to faulty setups, the radio may start TXing when any audio prompt is generated by the computer. Like "youve got mail" or the Microsoft sounds at startup, etc. There is a way to disable it. -- No, I dont remember what it is.

NS8N and W5JPT like this.
  9. W5JPT

I will make a note of that. Thank you.

Is there any advantage to also using a CI-V cable in addition to the USB A/B cable?

10. KG5THG

I only use the USB A/B cable. For what it's worth, I would invest in a quality USB cable. One that has reasonable (and available) specs on the wire, shielding, etc... being used. The one I'm currently using is a Belkin gold series. 1.8 meter. Gold is a reasonable protector to keep the copper connector from oxidizing but means nothing beyond that. I was going to try an AudioQuest Forest but ran into the Belkin first so I thought I would give it a run. I have collected a number of cables over time and it surprised me when I went through them as to the different levels of interference generated on the audio scope screen. The worst cable was one that I thought would be good as it had the ferrite core noise suppressor built in, etc... Further research seems to show that the ferrite cores are used to try and solve noise problems in poor quality cables. As with anything, your mileage may vary.