IC 7300 spur on 840 KHz

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WB5YUZ, May 22, 2020 at 7:33 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know I'm late to the party, but I bought a 7300 a few days ago.

I really like it, but I've noticed one big flaw so far; there is a big fat loud spur, a digital artifact, right around 840 KHz. This is unfortunate because this radio will be used for AM BCST DX, especially during baseball season and college football season (if they happen) and WHO is one of my favorites for scores and Louisville Cardinals games.

Does anyone else's 7300 have this spur, or am I just lucky?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

From three years ago re the IC-7300:
    birdies2.PNG
    From last year re the IC-7300:
    birdies.PNG

It appears you're not the lucky one, this is common with the 7300.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  3. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry - don't have an IC-7300, but do have an IC-7610. Just checked - it does not have any problem at 840 KHz.

Making a similar check (many months ago), I recall finding a few birdies, but none that bothered me at the time.

Of course, it goes without saying - when checking use a battery DC supply (not a switcher), and shut off all nearby computers, wall warts, etc. that might actually be the source of the spikes. Our high efficiency washing machine generates junk across the entire HF band in sync with its variable frequency motor drive!

KG5THG and K0UO like this.
  4. WB5YUZ

Thanks, Steve. They all have birdies somewhere...

Not necessary in this case. When you turn the volume control on the radio, the spur changes in nature; obviously, it is related to the processor(s) that work the volume function. It is also just as loud without any antenna connected as it is with a good antenna or a poor antenna connected. I mean, the exact same signal strength.

5. WB2WIK

You've got the source nailed.

What you need to do:

First, watch this movie.
    upload_2020-5-22_14-2-49.jpeg

:p:)

6. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not on my 7300. I listen to WHAS quite a lot and never noticed one.
    Mike N3PM

WB5YUZ likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You ain't heard birdies until you've used a Radio Shack DX-300 :eek::eek: More birdies than signals!! [The DX-302 improved this somewhat but not by much]

Dave
    W7UUU

8. N3KE

N3KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Around 838 kHz on mine. And yes changes a bit (broadens) when adjusting volume. Not a pure toned birdie.

9. WB5YUZ

I meant WHAS, not WHO. WHAS is Louisville. Thanks for the correction.

Have you ever heard of the time Mars was on WHAS's frequency (no, I'm not talking about the "War of the Worlds" broadcast)?

https://earlyradiohistory.us/mars.htm

N3PM likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

Maybe the station you're trying to listen to should play Birdland.