IC-7300 Split Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG4USK, Oct 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG4USK

KG4USK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that was covered in the original post. I'm not sure how else to explain my question.

Example:
    Icom 706 - VFO set to 7.004. Long press "SPL". Turns on split and sets VFO B to 7.006.

Icom 7300 - VFO set to 7.004. Long press "Split". Turns on split and sets VFO B to 7.004.

Maybe I'm just being nit-picky, but if DX starts calling UP or a fresh spot hits the cluster, I want to be on it quickly!

2. KK7AMB

KK7AMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like you have step one. It appears like step two should be to then hold down the "XFC" button to set the offset, which you should see in the bottom right corner (per section 4-13 of the PDF manual I just Googled).

WB5YUZ likes this.
  3. KG4USK

Thanks for the response, but it doesn't really relate to the question. That's how I normally have to set offset either with XFC or just swap VFOs.
    Like I said I'm probably just being too picky about it, but it was a nice feature that I liked on the old '706. Just surprised the new radio doesn't have it.

4. KG4USK

Looks like I can get this to work in FM mode only... I wonder if Icom will consider my request when or if they release a software update LOL.

5. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to side with Luther on this.
    7300 has some counter intuitive FEATURES.
    But as long as they keep selling like hotcakes don't expect ICOM
    to do squat.

6. W6TC

W6TC Ham Member QRZ Page

Luther, besides this niggle how are you enjoying the 7300?

I read with interest your deciding between the TS590SG and the 7300.
    Same as I'm going through now.
    My situation is that I have been licensed since the late 70’s (ZS6CBA) and now living in SoCal (W6TC).

Ham radio was a huge part of my life in those pre internet/cell phone days but then like many it took a back seat.

Also when I moved to the US 10 years ago I brought no gear with me.

I eventually put up a fan inverted V for 20/40 and bought an Elecraft K1. 5w QRP CW only has been fun but I think it’s time to get an all band rig and also have some fun with digital modes for the first time.

My last HF rig was the TS450SAT and no doubt things have changed so much since then.

The 7300 appears to have taken the world by storm and would obviously be a huge improvement over what I have had and of course the K1.

My shack is in the garage where a forced vent ware heater can be very noisy at times.

Remote operation in my study would be great which I believe the 7300 should be able to do via PC and of course the 7610 with built in server will do without one.

I would still have to buy software to do this.

Many folks say that the ICOM remote implementation can be a bit clunky.

Do you have any experience with remote operation and do you think that the 7300 will do what I need?

Like you I think that curiosity is getting the better of me and the 7300 is edging out the 590SG specially at the current sub $1000 price point.

Thanks

Joel

7. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

couldn't be simpler ... the little "<TX" button on the upper right of the radio. hit that, spin the multi-use knob to the offset you want. hit it again to turn off.

8. KG4USK

I am definitely enjoying the IC-7300 so far! At used prices, I figured that if I really didn't like it for some reason, it would be easy to sell since the market for '7300s is hot. Of course there are fewer buttons, so it's a bit of a learning curve coming from TS-570's and the like. Digital modes are a breeze with the built in sound card.
    Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with remote operation. The only remote operating I've done are digital modes through remote desktop.

W6TC likes this.
  9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I found that my 1990's FT990 had a 10 M FM repeater split button. Very handy when 10 M was wide open.
    Other wise split is no use to me. I do have 160 M on "VFO B" and the other bands on "A"

10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

edit replied wrong post! Give credit where credit is due!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020