IC-7300 power supply question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VA7TWX, Oct 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VA7TWX

VA7TWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings,

I have purchased an Icom 7300, and have an Icom 751-A. I am wondering if the internal switching power supply (PS-35) from the Icom 751-A would theoretically work on the 7300 - rather than purchasing a 200$ power supply. I am looking to obviously not modify the power supply or wreck my new rig. Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated!

73s

VA7TWX

2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

make it turn on and jump wires properly. power is ok.
    if it runs one radio it will run another.

btw this is day one fundamental electricity

K0UO likes this.
  3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

A lawn mower/ garden tractor (Size U1) battery costs from 35 to 50 bucks, and will run your HF rig all day on a charge.

4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The optional internal PSU in the 751A isn't the most reliable thing in the world as I recall. I've heard of many failures with that supply, it was a pretty early design and is now quite old.

A new power supply doesn't have to cost $200, at least not in the U.S. it doesn't. If you can import directly from China (lots of Amazon vendors are there, although you can't necessarily tell that from the ad), probably $100 or less. Don't know if you folks in B.C. pay import duty on that stuff or not; we don't, here.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy a little Samlex 1235. OMG, a switching supply! Doesn't it wipe out reception?
    NO.
    About $135 and doesn't cost a fortune to ship.

W4IOA and K0UO like this.
  7. WB2WIK

And even less expensive ones than that are available in the 25A range, which is all the 7300 needs.

All Chinese stuff, but they work. Last I checked, most of the "big brand name" SMPSs sold for ham use are made in China, anyway. Astrons seem to be made in Mexico.:p

The big "server power supplies," which can be found in the 1000W+ range and are hot-swappable and stuff are branded HP, and Dell et al. and they're made in China, too.:)

8. KP4SX

Sounds like overkill for a 7300. I'll stick with the Samlex.

W4IOA likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

I do not like that Sam I Am. I do not like Green Eggs and Ham.

Samlex has a good reputation among hams and their products are probably fine. Where are they manufactured?

10. KP4SX

I haven't checked. I imagine China.