ic-7300 loud relay

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W8NIC, Nov 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8NIC

W8NIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings Brethren,
    Those of you who operate cw mode using this radio know that the relay is very loud and it even covers the side tone. Are there any other relays from Icom that are much quieter like relays in the 756 series, or 7600 etc. that will replace the noisy one?
    I purchased a new 7300 about a year and 1/2 ago, sold it after a week, couldn't stand the loud relay. I like the radio and would like to get another provided the relay can be replaced.
    Thanks in advance.

2. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think Icom or Yaesu ever catered to the needs of CW ops like Ten Tec, Elecraft and Kenwood did. Certain rigs are just not CW-op friendly.

Steve, N4LQ tackled the relay noise on his IC-7300 here:

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I guess my IC-7300 just came later or something (it's 4 years old - I paid $1300 when they were still quite new)

I'm a big CW operator but never had an issue with the relay noise.

I just tried it now - after watching this video - NOTHING like that is heard on mine.

No idea why

Dave
    W7UUU

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not a big fan of the 7300, but, I don't know if this is an accurate , reproduce able , or even "fair" demonstration.

The first "base line" noise was recorded with the flat 4 prong connector in its normal position, then, the putty and the connector POSITION were BOTH changed, there was a reduction of the audible relay clicking, but,......

was it a result of the noise insulating putty, or the blocking of the noise by the flat connector?

Change one variable at a time to demonstrate the effect.

YMMV

5. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to put my ear down to the radio to hear a weak relay click in CW. Certainly nothing heard over the sidetone audio at the operating position. Must be certain production has more of an issue? Dialed in any delay in T/R switching at all?