IC-7300 Free USB software?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KM6FRE, Feb 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM6FRE

KM6FRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I recently purchased an IC-7300 and would like to take advantage of it's USB port. I am a new ham and this is my first rig and just spending a lot of money on the equipment has me tight on budget, so RS-BA1 software is not an option and neither is HRD. So if there are any free or cheaper software out there that anyone knows about that would be great. Otherwise the USB port is supposed to be a sound card so could I get my computer to treat it as such? If I can do that then I can use software like MMSSTV or some other free software for different modes.

Thanks!

2. K5URU

K5URU Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on getting the IC-7300. I have an IC-7100, but the USB interface is very similar so I'll toss a few recommendations your way.

First, the good news: You can do a LOT with free software! I had to install a driver (from the Icom website) for the IC-7100, but I'm not sure if the 7300 needs any drivers installed.

Here are some of the programs I use that can take full advantage of the USB cable (both for radio control and for the sound card). These are all free. Some of them can be a little tricky to set up, so read the instructions, be patient, and ask for help if you need it.

WSJT-X (for JT65 and JT9)
    fldigi (for a large variety of digital modes, including PSK31 and RTTY)
    flrig (provides a few extra rig control options for fldigi)
    MMSSTV (as you mentioned)

That should be enough to get you started and keep you busy for countless hours. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Have fun!

-Blake K5URU

KG5THG likes this.
  3. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Commander component of the freeware DXLab Suite supports your IC-7300; it's available via www.dxlabsuite.com .

Dave, AA6YQ

AG5DB and N9DSJ like this.
  4. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some free software I use: Fldigi, WSJT-X, JT65-HF, JT Alert, Airlink Express, WSPR, Netlogger, Ham Radio Deluxe (free version)-- many more out there. Just Google to find them. 73

K4RKY likes this.
  5. KM6FRE

KM6FRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks a lot. Hope to talk to you guys on the air!

6. W0ZPY

W0ZPY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok So I can not get mmsstv to key the radio....What is the proper setting for that. does anyone know..I'm Running the 7300... icom

7. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The USB driver for the 7300 is located on the CD and can also be downloaded from the Icom website.

8. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One that was missed and will give you the same functionality as HRD (and some here will have a dropped jaw I'm recommending - long story) is DX Lab.

9. WE5D

WE5D XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can also use winlink express to send email over the radio with no internet connection

10. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using DX-Lab and it interfaces very well with the 7300, the settings are available on the web to interface to WJST-X and FLDIGI and JS8call connects directly, all are free.