IC-7300 Compared To Flex 3000. Apples To Oranges??

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KI4VBR, Jul 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you think the 7300 is limited to 200Hz on the low end of SSB? The settings allow you to select down to 100Hz. Tone Controls, SSB, RX, HPF/LPF.

My 7300 never overloads because I know how to use RF Gain, and to use pre-attenuation if needed. I have never seen the front end overload. I also get zero interference from AM stations operating at many thousands of watts four miles away. I have tried broadcast band filters and they never seem to make much difference. I must admit my 1026 Noise cancellor and my preselector both include broadcast band filters, albeit pretty weak ones (not a lot of attenuation). Nevertheless AM mixing products is not a problem here. It could be some rusty bolt diodes near your QTH.

I prefer the more analog sound of my TS-820S for causal ragchew, but the 7300 does a much better job of removing QRM. I do wish it had multiple pre-AGC notch filters, and a wider transmit bandwidth (it does 2.8). However, I always get excellent audio reports with it, and wider bandwidth is only useful on very quiet bands without anyone else around to splatter onto.

2. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

K0OKs, do you have a source to setup the 7300 to get it dialed in that helped you? A link or YouTube channel? Thanks.

3. K0OKS

My source was (in order):

Fiddle with it.
    Read the manual all the way through
    Fiddle with it some more
    Watch most of the YouTube videos I could find on it. Steve Ellington has some good ones.
    Fiddle with it some more.
    Read-read parts of the manual.
    Fiddle some more.
    Still learning... still fiddling.

How you set it up depends on your purpose. For instance DX is very different from rag chewing.

Definitely use the RF gain almost all the time to reduce the signal level. I like the background of the waterfall to have just a hint of noise detail visible. For DX you have to put up with more noise to get some signal... I turn off the noise reduction if I have to.

Become familiar with the TX bandwidth settings (in tone controls). I adjusted mine so wide is 2.8k, medium is 2.6k and narrow is 2.4k. Sadly the next step narrower is 2k, which doesn't seem to help with much. If you were in a ragchew with a distant weak station it might be helpful, but it won't help much to get through a pileup. 2.4k is ideal for that.

Don't be tempted to turn the Bass way up on TX it starts to sound bad after about +1 or +2 max and wastes a lot of power.

Use between 1 and 3 compression for pretty much everything. For DX maybe up to 4 or 5, 6 if you are desperate.

Learn to make use of the bandwidth adjustment. There are three filters by default FIL1,2,3. You can then fine tune with passband width for each one. Sometimes a sharp falloff will help bring out a signal, even if there is no adjacent QRM. The twin passband tuning is only marginally helpful in my experience. Bandwidth and notch are much more effective.

The manual notch filter combined with the audio waterfall can help you eliminate birdies or heterodynes, or shave off some adjacent QRM. I really wish the 7300 had dual notch filters.

Noise reduction starts to sound bad after about 3 or 4. I combine it with some DSP audio noise reduction in a separate box.

Never use the preamp unless you like noise. Perhaps if you have a super low noise antenna like a beverage or something... and the preamp is useful on 6m.

That is my experience. Always learning.

4. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Appreciate all the help sir. DX vs rag chew is something I would not have thought of.

5. K0OKS

Sadly many people do not think about the band conditions when they set up their rig. They crank up the bass and try to make some sort of broadcast audio and then wonder why nobody can understand what they are saying. Wide transmit bandwidths and lots of bass may sound good when the band is good for a nearby ragchew, but it is about the worst thing you can do for bad band conditions or DX.

6. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Can someone explain how to set this step below up in a different box? I'm new to the 7300. Hopefully k0oks will see this question but might not. Thanks.

7. K0OKS

I have the audio output of the 7300 going to a switcbox (to select which radio) then into an MFJ-784B Tunable DSP Filter. I am sure there are better external DSP units. This one works decently, but I think it could be better. So I have some noise reduction in that unit, and some in the 7300.

Let me know if you find any articles reviewing external DSP units.

Hope this helps.

8. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

OK I understand now, appreciate it sir. I will be mobile so just the 7300 alone and barefoot. I will be going for DX not ragchew setup. Wife and i going over your great tips Joe. If anyone has anymore DX setup tips please pass them along, newbie here, 73. Ps-always wanted to fly in a Cessna, never did, sounds fun. Enjoy.

9. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am curious about freq stability of the Icoms (specifically the 7300). Do they have a TCXO built in?

10. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

RX audio response does not go below 200 Hz, TX goes lower.
    The 7300 is .5 ppm on the clock I think, maybe better.
    Phase noise is VERY low, and the noise blanker works VERY well.

As far as the big screen goes, you can have a lot more information on a big screen and less in menu's, plus its easier to see and seperate signals.
    The 7300 is like watching movies on a smartphone.