ad: M2Ant-1

IC-7300 Clock Battery Failure

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by NZ4J, Jun 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

sometime i just cant do it...

2. W9WQA

3. F5LOL

F5LOL Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W1RNY

W1RNY Ham Member QRZ Page

I spoke with a guy at ICOM tech support and he said that my radio....the newer ones, already had a super capacitor. I have not opened it up to check however,

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a schematic that shows it to be a capacitor.

I think it still has a slow charge rate. If you use it for a day, It should last a week or more without power.

Have you ever tested how long it lasts without power ?

6. W9WQA

theres a battery in my 32 yr old hw24ht still working. i have 2 ht, one i changed the batt. the other is stock...?

7. W1RNY

W1RNY Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I have not tested the amount of time. I have both a linear and a $30....beleive it or not.....switching supply which a friend of mine found and tested....not problems. I am using it exclusvely rather than the linear....so I leave both the 7300 an 9700 connected all the time rather than have to deal with losing the time.

8. W5KCC

W5KCC Ham Member QRZ Page

The battery supplied by ICOM is a Seiko as previously stated. It's discharge time is 71 HOURS! As evidence by the attached SnagIt capture from Seiko's datasheet.
    I will follow the proscribed method suggested by ICOM and charge for 48 continuous hours and see what happens.
    My 7300's battery has been dying after about 3 to 4 days, but never have I done a 48 hour charge cycle.
    IF I still have issues I will be considering replacing it with this Panasonic rechargeable battery ML-920S/DN. From the Digi-Key website. It has an 11 mAH rating instead of 1 mAH.
    Icom battery Seiko.jpg

ML920S.jpg
    2020-07-01_10-50-25.jpg
    2020-07-01_10-49-53.jpg

It's very inexpensive and should be an easy mount to the PCB. Trickiest part is de-soldering the existing unit. Thanks that I bought a variable temp soldering station last year with 6 different tip sizes.

ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS? They would be appreciated... even if I get torched, so to speak. ;)

9. W9WQA

if i ever pulled the battery i would run a wire out so i never had to do that surgery again..!!!
    and use a big battery...

10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Desoldering small areas is best aided by liquid solder flux and good quality desoldering braid. Some folks make their own 'desoldering' braid by simply removing the sheath from old coaxial cable- RG-59 is usually cheaper than RG-58 types. Most mail-order electronic parts stores have either GC Chemicals or Kester brands. Carefully clean the solder by rubbing the braid soaked with flux around the hole. Good ventilation is key when you add flux ( yes- breathing is not optional ). The battery is small, so use smaller braid than a 1/4" cable shield- if you can.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020