ic-7300 cant get digital modes to work

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN4AEV, Jul 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KN4AEV

KN4AEV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a new ic-7300 and I am new to this radio and HF. I did struggle getting the radio to connect and the PTT to work but as far as I can see everything is setup and working correctly. I have adjusted the sound card as I have seen on many videos and step-by-step guides. I can monitor the audio on the radio as I am transmitting and everything looks good to me.
    When I call CQ or answer a CQ I get no response. I have tried various software using PSK31 and JT65. I really do not have anyone local that I can get to test with. I am receiving fine I can see strong signals on the waterfall and are decoding fine.

My question is: Where can I get some more information on what I am doing wrong? Is there a forum that you know of where I can locate someone to test with me? I have looked at pskreporter and it shows people receiving signals with my callsign even when it had been 24 hours since I have transmitted (when looking in the past 15 minutes setting).

2. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you running JT65, PSK31, or something else? If you are trying JT65 do you have your computer clock synced to UTC time? It needs to be very close.

Want to try 40M JT65 or PSK31? I can be there shortly.

3. KN4AEV

Thanks, I am on 7070 lets try psk31 so the clock is not an issue. I have my NTP server set to one of the government servers nist or something like that. I will be looking for you.

4. W3ATV

Ok- calling you now......

5. W3ATV

I see you on the PSK reporter map so you are getting out somewhere.

6. KN4AEV

I got on 40 and called CQ and got a reply, however I just noticed I was using 100watts. In my haste to get there quickly I forgot to turn down the power. My antenna system is not the best I am using a G5rv as an inverted V. I do have a good idea as to where the problem might be now. I'm just not getting out. Thanks for the help.

W3ATV likes this.
  7. W3ATV

I run about 30 watts with my 7300. I only have an inverted vee dipole at 30ft- probably not much better than your G5RV. Either way you are getting out somewhere....

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 9.04.41 PM.png