ad: elecraft

IC-7300 and Fldigi

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W6AAX, Apr 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does the 7300 have a DATA submode, and does it have a menu setting that needs to be set so that the transceiver accepts tx audio from the onboard USB sound device?

On the 7100, the radio needs to be set in USB-D, with Set | Connectors | Data selected as USB for programs like fldigi to work. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar were required on the 7300.

(I haven't used a 7300 or looked at a manual for one; just tossing an idea out there.)

2. W6AAX

W6AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I believe it is the same as the 7100.

3. WA7EWC

WA7EWC Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry for the dumb question, but how did you do that, via the SD card?

5. KD9CKB

KD9CKB Ham Member QRZ Page

the icom driver gets installed on the pc or laptop that you are using, just like any other device driver, so your pc or laptop will recognize the icom radio when you plug in the usb cable

6. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, thanks :) For some reason, I was thinking I was going to have to do something special. I've seen twice on a couple of videos that you're aren't supposed to just plug the 7300 into your computer, because the computer will install it's own drivers and not the Icom drivers. I'm not very computer literate :eek:

7. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a XML file for the 7300 on the fldigi sourceforge site now.

You can also change the CI-V id on the 7300 and use the 7400 xml file.

8. VE3NLW

VE3NLW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you get the IC--7300 to transmit? If so, what did you do?

9. AD5FR

AD5FR Ham Member QRZ Page

I finally got mine to sync up with fldigi. At first, one place told me to put the IC-7300.xml file in the 'rigs' folder of fldigi. That didn't work. So I did a copy/paste of the .xml and also put it in the main fldigi folder and now it syncs the frequency and I can transmit. You only need the USB cable and the Icom driver.

Install the driver FIRST, then connect the USB cable. Go to Device Manager and find what COM port it's on.

Run fldigi and go to the RIG tab under Configuration, check RigCat, you should see that 7300.xml file in the box so click OPEN, find the file and click OK. Set the COM to whatever number that driver you installed is on. Put checks in Commands are Echoed, Cat command for PTT, and Restore Settings on Close. Finally, click Initialize and SAVE.

Next, go to the Audio tab and click Port Audio. Look for Microphone USB Audio Codec and select. Then Speaker USB Audio Codec and select. Click SAVE.

From here you go to your Speakers and Mic controls through Control Panel to set the gain on the Mic down low, to around 3 or 4. You'll adjust the Waterfall through the AF out on the 7300.

By this time the Freq should match the 7300 and click Tune on Fldigi to see if it transmits.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    AA4MY likes this.
  10. KU1V

KU1V XML Subscriber QRZ Page