IC 7300 and Chamelion p-loop mag antenna.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KA0HMO, Jul 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KA0HMO

KA0HMO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone out there using this combo?
    Just purchased a brand new IC 7300 Hf transceiver from DX Engineering and a used Chameleon p-loop magnetic antenna. (Purchased on QRZ.com). Using a fairly new Alpha Delta 2- position switch between the 7300 and loop antenna. Got the used antenna via UPS today. Hooked everything up today to just do some listening on the hf bands (I've been off the air for several years due to a long spell in the hospital).
    Turned the radio "on" for the 1st time, scanned thru 15 thru 40 meters, absolutely zero signals! I tried the tuning knob at the bottom of the capacitor box to no avail. I quickly read thru the startup operations for the radio. I do hear variation on the bands, but no specific transmissions are received. I spent just about all day setting everything up (tough when you're wheelchair-bound).
    I'm at a total loss why I can't receive any signals on my IC 7300/P-LOOP antenna combo. Ideas?
    Bill (KA0HMO)

2. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember that small loop antennas are very narrow band (kHz to tens of kHz) and will attenuate other signals a lot. Even when properly tuned, they have less gain than a full-size dipole, so there is a chance that signals are there but you missed them if you didn't tune carefully.

I would also make sure that the 7300 receiver is working first by using a wire receiving antenna - almost any decent length thrown out of a window should get you signals. If the rig is working fine, then a thorough check of the loop and its connections. Don't rule out a faulty coax or connector either - I spent days troubleshooting an antenna before finding an intermittent open in a coax connector!

Also, if you've limited mobility, maybe you can find a local ham to lend a hand while you troubleshoot. an extra pair of eyes (and hands are often useful.

Mike
    AF7ON

W1TRY likes this.
  3. KA0HMO

Thx for your comments Mike..
    I was able to pick up a special events station this morning on 40 mtrs (weakly...about S5). I think you're spot-on re: the sensitivity of these loop antennas. Band conditions aren't exactly stellar either. Thx much for your reply posting.
    Bill (KA0HMO)

4. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 3ft diameter loop for receive only. It has a small amplifier (wideband) attached to the base of the loop. It's receive is close to a 40 meter dipole in the attic (30ft agl) AND lower noise. Signal To Noise Ratio is noticeably better. However, without the amplifier I would expect mediocre performance. One quick trick is to only insert the tip of the coax connection from thae loop in to the antenna switch. Then it is just a long wire of odd shapes. You should get signals. A good standard is the WWVs and CHU Canada (7850 is my favorite in Pittsburgh area - always strong).
    Dick N3HK

5. KA0HMO

Thx Dick, I'll give that a try.
    Bill
    KA0HMO

6. KA0HMO

7. KA0HMO

I tried your suggestion Dick...no luck on my end. A few days ago I did pick up (very faintly) a special events station on the east coast. Sunday I picked up a DX net in NC. They were both on 20M. I do have the loop indoors. Ordered some feedline to run the antenna outdoors. Hopefully that will improve things. I'm supposed to be able to operate the antenna indoors.
    Bill
    KA0HMO

8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Certainly the poor band conditions with very low solar flux and zero sunspots need to be considered!
    Even with my full sized doublet antennas at 30' the 15 to 40m bands have been miserable at my QTH.
    Likely you remember the good days with better propagation back when you ceased operations on HF OM.
    Nothing like that the past 24-36 months.

Learn Morse
    Do CW