IC-7300 and ACOM 1000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W8WJC, Jun 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W8WJC

W8WJC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello,

Quick question, what’s the best method to connect my new IC-7300 to my Acom 1000? What cables are people using? It appears that there are different methods to connect the two together.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It just takes one control cable (RCA phono plug on each end) from IC-7300 "SEND" jack to the Acom 1000 "KEY IN" jack.

That, plus of course the coaxial connections to the amplifier RF input and RF output SO-239 jacks.

That's it. The RCA phono patch cable is not critical, any 2-conductor phono cable should work.

3. W8WJC

Ok thanks. I wasn’t sure if I should go that route or try the ACC port. It looks like that can work also? This is my first icom, I’ve always used Kenwoods in the past, so I’m trying to figure this stuff out.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No reason to do that, when the SEND port is right there and easier to use.

5. K4ECA

K4ECA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Running 1c 7610 with Acom 1000 here, be sure to set 'tx delay' on radio to 20-30 ms, if you don't you may get "hot switching" error on amp display. Btw, I love my a-1000. its a great amp!

6. W8WJC

Ok, so I finally got around to connect the IC-7300 to my Acom 1000. So my next question is, how do you put the 7300 into a cw tone so that you can load and tune the Acom 1000? On my Kenwood 590SG, I have it set up so when I click a button it goes to TX Tune which produces a steady tone so I can tune the Amp. Any suggestions on how to do this with the 7300?

7. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Put the 7300 in RTTY mode and PTT (or push TRANSMIT button) to create a steady carrier, and adjust power level with the MULTI knob on "power". Or short a straight key in CW mode.

8. W8WJC

Thanks, that does the trick. Coming from Kenwoods, I wouldn't have guessed that. Thanks again.

9. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

10. W8WJC

Hi Rob, so I purchased one of these earlier in the week. I've emailed the owner back and forth a few times already. Funny story, he is only a 30-45min drive from me, I didn't know that until after I purchased it. Going to try and meet up with him in the future. I'm glad you recommended it as well, I'm looking forward to using it this week.