ad: Radclub22-1

IC 7200

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB1YN, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K5SPP

K5SPP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not talking about 10k ruck marches like I did in the Army! But yes, on occasion I would put it and my power supply in the pack, sling the Buddipole in its case, and off to the park, or even once to the roof of the hospital I worked at! Never had any issues, or thought I should get a Pelican case (or the like) for it. The IC-7200 is one tough radio!

I would NEVER try to do that with my 7300!

BTW, a PRC-77 weighs 13.75 pounds, and I carried one of those a few times although I was a bit younger! Weight isn't too much of an issue when properly carried. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    KK5JY and W4NNF like this.
  2. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Get this :

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/amateur/ts-590sg/spec.html

Take TS-570D on into classrooms, scouting events, maybe some SOTA, IOTA, field days of course.
    That is if you still have the 570!

That is what I would do!

images (5).jpeg

KA2RRK

3. K5SPP

KK5JY likes this.
  4. VE5KEL

VE5KEL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been bouncing between the 891 and the 7200. Not sure which I'll end up ordering. I probably won't know till I press the paypal link. I like features in both radios.

5. K5SPP

If you have the space, or do not plan on using it as strictly mobile, I'd say go for the IC-7200. Totally personal preference, but for one, the menus are much easier on the 7200. Much more intuitive. (I know! Practice, practice, practice!)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    VE5KEL likes this.
  6. VE5KEL

VE5KEL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pros for the 891 for me is the ability to record your cq and play it. and the portability for when I'm at the lake.

Pros for the 7200 is the ability to hook it up to the computer with 1 cable for digital modes. and the menu system. I'm sure a guy would get accustomed to the menu on the 891.

These are just a couple of the things I'm considering.

K5SPP likes this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an Elecrft K3 and it works great! You never asked about Elecraft, but being a ham I just HAD to bring up my radio. Waiting for some dude to tell you to save money, buy a Flex.

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7200 is far easier to use, while the menus of the 891 may be off-putting for some. The 891 has excellent noise reduction, and decent noise blocking. The 7200 is lacking in the area of Noise Reduction.

The 891 is far lighter, and easier to carry around. I cannot remember if it has a USB or not, but if it does, the 7200 would be better for digitlal modes.

If you are working near a bunch of other radios on a field day very often, you will want the 7200, as the 891 puts out a dirty signal. Otherwise, if operating mobile or by yourself, don't worry about it.

9. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

7200 is a great radio. Very user friendly and handles noise, etc. very well...GL

KK5JY likes this.
  10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

As an owner of an Icom 7300, I would spend a little bit more and get a new or used 7300 -- any day of the week, and twice on weekends, over the 7200.

A few hundred dollars more now is well worth the investment.