IC 7200

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB1YN, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AB1YN

AB1YN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

After much hemming and hawing, I think I am going to buy a more mobile friendly 100w HF. Could you please respond with your thoughts on the ic 7200, and or your experience with other mobile type rigs? I intend to tote the radio into classrooms, scouting events, maybe some SOTA, IOTA, field days of course.
    Thank you
    Andrew
    ab1yn

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had one for going on 8 years now. Never a problem. I love it.

Good receiver, good audio, nice features. Only problem? That small orange display. However, I usually use it in conjunction with Ham Radio Deluxe, so that's not a problem either. It's my current Field Day rig. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them for you.

3. W4NNF

Oh, pay a little extra and get the rack handles. They make it even easier to haul around.

KK5JY likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had one. Hated it.

It had a board issue which needed an entire replacement. That aside -- I still hated it. Why? The audio was to tinny and high-pitched. I was not impressed. It just never sounded good through any speaker. I want a nice, full sound. That radio was incapable of it.

My advice is to get a new or used Icom 7300 (I own one). They are lighter (I found the 7200 was a heavy beast), have far more options, and a beautiful bandscope. MUCH better full sound. Much more WOW factor for your scouting events.

You might also consider the Yaesu FT450D, if you want to be cheap.

A Yaesu FT-891 makes a nice portable (I own that, too), but it wouldn't have the wow factor that something like a 7300 would have -- lots of button pushing, too. It's a fabulous CW radio (better than my 7300) and no slouch on SSB, I find. Probably not great for scouting events, but excellent for light portable. Crappy internal speaker, though.

A used 7300 is going to be about the same is a new 7200 (and won't be very old). It's just so much more radio -- and it's a complete radio, with tuner, filtering, voice recording, etc.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    WA8MEA likes this.
  5. AB1YN

W4NNF and KE0EYJ,

Thank you for your replies - I will keep these recommendations in mind when finally purchasing.
    Andrew
    ab1yn

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used both the 7100 and 7200 mobile and portable, and for contesting. They are both very competitive for the price. The 7200's receiver has a definite edge over the 7100 in crowded conditions, no doubt due to the narrower IF filters used on HF. The noise blanker in the 7200 works better on ignition noise than the 7100, probably for the same reason.

For someone who is going to use HF mobile a lot, I would recommend the 7200 over the 7100 or the 7300. Touch screens are a bear to operate while mobile. The 7200's user interface is easy and intuitive and simple.

7. W4NNF

Like the 7300, which I also have, the 7200 has a small speaker, so it ain't gonna be hi-fi...but it sounds surprisingly good IMHO. My 7200 has been used for years for 100% duty cycle modes, Field Days, etc. and has never missed a beat. Can you get a lemon? Sure, you can get a lemon Lexus or BMW. ;)

And let me add that while I love my 7300, a color touch screen, as JY says, isn't my cuppa for a mobile rig.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. AB1YN

Thanks again for posting

9. K5SPP

K5SPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a 7200 that was stolen, but loved it! Reading your planned use, I would definitely go for it as compared to the others (7300 for example, which I replaced my 7200 with.) The 7200 is just so much more rugged. I had no problem taking it anywhere, even in my backpack.

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You carried that thing in your backpack? It's really too heavy to comfortably carry a 7200. Long, thin, and 5.5kgs (12.1 lbs).

The 7300 is 4.2 kgs (9.26 pounds) and much smaller.