IC-7200 with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by NR2NR, May 24, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. NR2NR

NR2NR Ham Member QRZ Page

I had posted this referencing other software. However, the bottom line is determining interconnectivity between an IC-7200 and MacBook Pro, so to keep this simple, I am reposting here.

QUESTION 1
    With regard to interconnecting, will a single USB cable between the MacBook Pro? Or are other ports and connectivity required?

QUESTION 2
    With regard to USB functionality, I see ICOM has a driver for the IC-7200 to connect, but it is only for Windows. Is a driver required for the Mac? Does one exist? I would much rather run native mode on the Mac if at all possible (no Parallels or other emulation).

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For future reference, there is a Mac-specific subforum under the Computers form.

The single USB cable carries both audio and the CAT control.

Yes. You can download it from https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers.

Make sure you rig is NOT connected (USB cable is unplugged) when you run the install routine. Once done, reboot and then check your Security and Privacy pane in System Preferences to make sure there are no warnings about authorizing the driver: if there are, then simply authorize the driver extension to load. Once that is done, then plug in your USB cable to your rig, power on, and configure your software/logbook/whatever.

3. NR2NR

OK Great, I will check out the Mac-specific forum... AND the driver. Many thanks.

4. NR2NR

I installed the driver, rebooted the computer. But I do not have the radio here (just preparing). Is there any to tell if the SiLabs driver was loaded? I am reviewing all processes in the Activity Monitor and nothing jumps out, and there are no security related issues being flagged (best as I can tell).

5. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The driver installs to /Library/Extensions/SilabsUSBDriver.kext, so if you look in the Extensions folder you should see the SIlabsUSBDriver.kext file. If so, the driver is installed. However, you won't really know that everything works until you actually connect the rig. At that point, you might get a security warning, but most likely you won't if you haven't already seen one on the General Tab of the Security and Privacy pane in System Preferences.

6. NR2NR

Yep, it is there. OK, will test with the device this weekend. Many thanks.

K3DCW likes this.
  7. NR2NR

I did my testing...

On both OS:
    • On both Mac OS and on PC.
    • Single USB cable connection between the IC-7200 and the computer.
    • The setting of the CAT control to 9600 Baud, 8 data bits, two stop, no handshake.
    On the PC:
    • Installed the driver for the IC-7200.
    • When I went to assign the port, I saw USB, but we needed to select COM3 (not the USB) to make the thing work.
    • Once COM3 was assigned, everything worked great.
    On Mac OS:
    • Installed the driver for the IC-7200.
    • When I went to assign the port, I saw USB and some other references (e.g., my Beats headphones) and there was nothing like Com 3 offered as a choice for selection.
    • So never really got the USB connection to work properly.
    Any ideas on what might be the problem on Mac OS?
    Maybe I am plainly missing it, but is there a simple setup guide for my particular configuration that might be available?

8. K3DCW

Where did you go to "assign the port?" In a program? If so, what program?

Ports on macOS are not labeled like "COM3", look for a port called tty.SILabsUSB or something aloong that line.

9. NR2NR

Yes, in a program. The program I am using, on Windows and on Mac OS is WSJT-X.

I attached two screenshots, which shows all the assigned names of the ports, per WSJT-X. There is some overlap in the lists, but they all are there.

Attached Files:

10. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

While I don't have your radio, I am using a TS-590SG here in grid JN44 which also uses USB to convey both rig control and audio data which was accomplished by installing the Silicon Valley Labs virtual driver. This is how the driver was chosen in my setup
    and I would expect the same entry to available to you:

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 06.53.24 AM.png