IC-7200 and Paddle Keyer

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N3MLB, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N3MLB

N3MLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings.

I'm looking for a little direction on what to purchase. A quick background, I've been a ham since I was 14 (50 now) but have been away from the hobby for over 20 years and recently came back to it this year. I purchased an IC-7200 and would like to buy a paddle keyer but not sure where to start. There's a Electronic Keyer Jack in the back and a wiring diagram for a straight key or paddle.

Now to my question. What am I looking for to get started? Just the keyer itself and make my own homemade plug? Is that all I need? Is anyone else using the IC-7200 and what would you recommend and what would you suggest I avoid?

-N3MLB (Chris)

2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Your radio has a built-in electronic keyer so you only need to buy a paddle or straight key and wire up the plug according to your radio's diagram...

[​IMG]

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The word "key" or "paddle" is usually used for the hardware that you touch with your hands to generate code. The term "keyer" is usually reserved for the electronic piece that turns a presses of a paddle's left and right paddles into sequences of dits and dahs.

Most modern rigs, including your IC-7200, have an electronic keyer built in. So you just need to add a key or paddle. The IC-7200 has a 1/4" stereo jack, so a paddle should be equipped with a 1/4" stereo plug. Or if you prefer, you can always use a straight key, again, with a 1/4" plug.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To use the keyer, as already stated you just need a paddle key and a ubiquitous 1/4 inch stereo phone plug, available at Radio Shack, Fry's, almost anywhere; of course you can order this on line as well. Wire the plug as indicated.

If you're just getting back on the air and like CW, I'd recommend the very popular Bencher paddle, like the BY-1. Not expensive -- some paddles can be over 300 dollars -- and works very well. I have three of them accumulated over about 30 years and the oldest one is still fine.

Used ones are even cheaper.

5. N3MLB

N3MLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonderful, thanks so much for the information.

6. AA9GB

AA9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

As others have mentioned, just put a plug (included with your ic7200) on the paddle and you're good to go. Be aware that it's Iambic Mode B only and various settings are buried in menus. You may want to consider an external keyer for memories, other modes (Iambic A or Ultimatic), etc.

7. JL1DCA

JL1DCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, IC-7200 owner fellow over the ocean! I got one two month ago. It's kind to wallet, yet designed good and steady. It's good enough even for DXing, so that it's very cost-effective.
    But what you want to be aware of as its owner is that mic-output AF signal is limited strictly from 300hz to 2.7khz(2.4khz width) by both analog and digital filterings before modulation, and that the filterings are given and unchangeable.

Suzuki

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  8. JL1DCA

You can manage to have voice signal leap the analog filtering by means of putting it from the accessory jack in the back, by way of an external microphone amp to raise mic-out to 100mV level with. You can also use a microphone- proccessor device to compensate the loss caused by the digital filtering while amplifing it. However, setting of the frequency and the amplification level is rather sensitive.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  9. JL1DCA

Its fan noise is moderate, to add to it. Whether its look is good or not depends on your taste. It looks as if an outdoor, military use gear.

10. N4STG

N4STG Ham Member QRZ Page