IC-718

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W0BKR, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

I recently purchased a new IC-718 HF radio for grins. I primarily wanted something alishgtly bigger then the typical "tiny box" radio for portable or even mobile operation. Originally, I purchased the Ten-Tec jupiter but it exhibited such poor performance, not to mention the quality problems that forced me to return it for rework (mis-wired), I decided to return it for a refund and use the money towards something more applicable.

I looked at the DX-77T and the IC-718. Upon reading the reviews on both, I decided to go with the 718. What a fun radio to use!! Not only is it easy to use, it hears well, has many features the Ten Texc didn't have (at it cost over $1200!&#33[​IMG]. I has easy to read display, up/down controls, shift, split-dual VFO's, DSP and filter slots. The front end is susceptible to hammering by near field signals (i.e. 5 kHz away) but so was my Ten Tec and so are other radios without optional filtering.

All in all, I think if you want a radio to get into amateur radio, this would do the trick and you would probably hang onto it long after you upgraded to more sophisticated equipment.

The price can't be beat (under $560 from AES in May 2002; and you get the DSP option free&#33[​IMG].

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I did exactly that...purchased the 718 as my first HF radio after passing my General exam....and I haven't been disappointed at all. I recently installed the DSP unit and it is a nice addition. I plan to buy and install the CW filter since I enjoy using my 718 for CW. Once that's accomplished, I hope to start improving my antennas (currently using a G5RV with tuner). I've found that if I can hear them on my 718, I can usually work them. Now does anyone have a suggestion on a good (and affordable) all-mode VHF transceiver [​IMG]

3. M3PHP

M3PHP Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a IC-718 it is my first TX Rig works great on SSB and Data Modes.

and also there is not alot of buttons to press  [​IMG]

73 Peter, M3PHP
    Age 15

4. WM5E

WM5E Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased one because I hate to pass up a deal ($450.00) new, and I have been pleasantly surprised!
    Very easy to use, features that you will really use, and none of the costly, low value features that you won't use.
    I have received only outstanding reports on the audio quality too, using only the hand mic!!!!! I am very pleased and would buy another one in a second.
    Gene WM5E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.