Ic-7100 won't transmit RTTY using MMTTY

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KN1OLA, Dec 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KN1OLA

KN1OLA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have bent my brain around this many different ways but can't seem to find the secret combo to get MMTTY to work my 7100 for RTTY. Here is the situation: IC-7100 in RTTY mode RX and TX fine but is severely limited in its internal capability to be used for contesting or to quickly type out any sort of custom message, which is why I decided to give MMTTY a try. My 7100 is hooked up using only the USB interface and I did download and install the most recent drivers before hooking up (late Sep 2020)

MMTTY is set up and controls the rig fine with CAT control. Incoming RTTY is decoded fine, 7100 takes command to transmit and begins sending; however, RTTY is not actually transmitted. I only get a single constant high tone. I have tried to use FSK and AFSK both with the same results, I have tried with my 7100 set in RTTY mode and LSB...same results. I have done extensive work in AFSK to balance the rig power and gain with CPU speaker volume to see if it is a problem with me over driving the system, but no matter the levels I use, the ALC is pegged with a single high tone transmitting until a point where the ALC goes to zero and I get no transmission.

From everything I've researched, it seems best to set up using FSK and have found some guidance on 7300s, but my 7100 does not have some of those menu options.

Has anyone ever had RTTY tx success with an IC-7100 being controlled through MMTTY? Or any other program for that matter? I would just like to play RTTY with a better decode than what is native to the rig and have more options than the canned messages in the 7100.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Scott.
    KN1OLA

2. AE8F

AE8F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm having similar problems with a Ft-857D. I was hoping you had some helpful replies. Good luck OM.

3. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

If you aren't using the ACC port (pin 10), you can't use the FSK mode so with the USB cable, and your path is via AFSK. And that should take on the same or similar settings as for WSJT-X. If you wish to use FSK, one way is to use EXTFSK from the MMTTY author.

4. KN1OLA

Thanks, I'll run through MMTY set up from the top and give AFSK another try. Maybe I missed something in the initial set up, or changed something I shouldn't have in attempt to get it working.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

In theory, with AFSK, you should be able to set things up between two computers and no radios. Then you can add the radios.

6. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From your earlier post about max ALC once you get closer to getting 'things' working set power to 100w and use your audio level to control power level. I'm assuming the audio path is from the computer and not using the radio standalone which might handle power different. Point is keeping ALC at zero. Like CAT control the computer program must be point to the com port the 7100 is on and the audio path has to be pointed to what the computer is calling the radio's audio input and output. My 7100 was a few radios back and is gone, but what I have outlined is typical for just about any radio and computer setup. Yes, details will vary, but generally the high level view will not.
    Good Luck!

7. KN1OLA

That did it!!! Thank you so much. The volume out from my cpu needed to be way down below 7% AND I had to be sending from SSB not RTTY mode on the 7100. I must not have been getting low enough with the volume on previous tests and/or changed a setting in experimentation and forgot to change it back.

With all the CAT settings correct, I put the power to 100% an dropped the CPU output to 0% nothing as expected. I was still in RTTY mode on the 7100, and when I brought the CPU out up to 1% I got what sounded like an constant "mark" with "space" modulated in and out on top of it. Switched over to LSB...Lo and behold...I have RTTY.

KE5MC Thanks Again

Scott
    KN1OLA

KE5MC likes this.
  8. KN1OLA

Correction...I needed to use LSB-D. transmits in digital mode LSB but not straight up LSB.