IC 7100 vs TS480sat

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K4VUQ, Mar 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

So far I have been able to successfully match the 160 coil I have with the same matching coil I'm using for my other antennas - It has worked for both the bug catcher antennas and the hamsticks I use when it's raining (bugcatchers don't like rain) I think I have 5 different taps to match various antennas - makes it a little fun sometimes trying to remember which one to plug into when I switch...

2. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know when video out became a requirement for a mobile rig - I'm guessing over 90% of the rigs on the road don't have video out. I do agree with they should have put a color display in the 7100. It would have been nice, but the display is very readable even under bright light conditions and the touch screen is very responsive and the radio is easier to operate while driving then the Kenwood 480 - or for that matter most radios. Since I rarely operate VHF the D-Star features are pretty much useless to me. The two things that sold me on the radio are the incredible HF receiving capabilities and the top shelf audio out that compares with some of the most expensive radios you can buy. I have run Kenwoods - the TS50 - 440 - 450 - 570 - 2000 and 480 mobile - I have run the Alinco DX70 (POS) and I have run the Icom 706MKIIG the IC718 and the IC7100. I have run all of theses radios for substantial amounts of time as mobile stations. In a mobile setting the IC 7100 outperforms everyone of those radios straight out of the box in noise reduction capabilities - receive capabilities - and audio out. Truly those are the qualities that make an outstanding mobile rig - Or any rig for that matter.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  3. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I will agree the receiver is quite nice and the DSP is like sweet candy to a child. I love ICOM IF DSP in the IC7000 and I am sure the 7100 is either equivalent or enhanced further. I was so close to getting a 7100 a while ago but instead opted for the 7000. Video out is certainly NOT a requirement by any stretch, but in this world of ever increased distracted driving, i.e. Text, car talking to you, crash warning buzzers, the amount of other distracted drivers, any safety mechanism to help at least keep your peripheral vision on the road is completely worth mention and has its merit.

I truly like the 200 watt Kenwood but man that control panel is awful for mobile - what was Kenwood thinking making that thing the size of a row boat when mounted in the vehicle cockpit.

The IC 7K is not supported anymore by Icom but there are service centers out there that can fully repair them. The finals pop like pop corn if you are not careful. I am sure the finals in the IC 7100 may be improved but I haven't heard much about them popping as easy as the 7000.

The Yaesu 857 I made mention of ... sounds more like an industrial get the job done radio, its rugged, can take a beating, finals are made of Captain America's shield, and the DSP is definitely old and noisy compared to Icom.

With all things being equal I would certainly suggest the 7100 over anything else, except the 7000 but you would be happy with either one. And I offer my apologies over the tuner debate... there is no room for that derailment in a thread asking about comparing radio A to B, even if I didn't start the tuner debate.

4. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing about highjacking threads—at least I hope this is the reason—is we all learn. Agreed, some of us never learn anything new, and harbor the same old rhetoric regardless of the validity. That aside....

If one knows how to set up and read a Smith Chart, it would become evident that more than one LC ratio will provide a match to some specific input impedance. That is, if we allow ourselves some leeway with respect to reactance seen by the transceiver at the source end of the coax feed. However, if we're really interested in achieving a match over a wide bandwidth, we need to look much closer to home. With that in mind, there is ONLY ONE combination with will cover 80 through 10 meters. Finding that match, isn't always easy. It is admittedly easier when using a screwdriver antenna, but it can be achieved with monobanders too. But only if we have the patients to jump through the necessary hoops.

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got them all I don't like to 7100 mobile the way the head mounts and I don't like the old-style touchscreen on it. I'm still mostly running 7000s in four of my mobiles, two are airplanes. I would recommend you get a separate dual band radio for VHF UHF. Everybody's going to laugh about this one, but I do have a 7300 Icom in my Chevrolet Duramax truck mounted on the dash, and it outperforms anything I've ever had on hf by huge margin ,great noise reduction. I will admit the 480 is a great radio, I also run a couple of the 200 watt versions and screwdriver scorpion antennas.

6. W5BUY

W5BUY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why forget the hi q? I have run both, currently on my f350 I run a 5/ 160. With only a two foot extension and a cap hat I can work everything from 80 down to 6 and work it well. If I want to run 160 I have to put a whip on it which is a 4-foot whip. I also like the Scorpion but the haikyuu with a 2-foot extension a cap at work so I'm just as well just as signal reports it is lighter and a lot shorter then having the big whip swing around on top