ad: wmr-1

IC-7100 RV uhf/vhf antenna ideas

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ7MJR, Jan 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ7MJR

KJ7MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Casita fiberglass egg shaped camper and am working on getting a mobile ham setup going. It is the dessert after all the other less fun work I have put into the thing since I got it. But does anyone have any suggestions for a good uhf/vhf setup? From searching here and elsewhere Diamond, Comet, and Larsen have come up as decent options. Does anyone have one in paticular that has worked well for them?

Thanks in advance.

2. KJ7MJR

Ok I guess stating what bands I am looking for would help. I need 144-148/440-450. But I think I am going with the Larsen NM02/70B. That seems to be a well respected mobile antenna.

AI7PM and KG7HZT like this.
  3. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Comet SBB-5? Stick with half wave designs like the NMO-2/70 and SBB-5 on that fiberglass camper. Not much of a ground plane for 1/4 wave or 5/8 wave.

4. KJ7MJR

Hi, yeah thanks. I did end up going with the Larsen NMO-2/70. Now I have moved onto maybe finding a 20 meter hamstick. Maybe a 40 meter also.

5. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes I need to use a portable yagi to hit a distant node/repeater. I use a JetStream JTBM270 which does come apart for storage. I use 2 or 4 of the 4ft military fiberglass tent poles for the mast and just tie it to the back ladder. Who ever drilled the element mounting holes on mine, didn't do a very good job hi. Still works as advertised. For the vertical, I use a Jetstream JTM3B 2M/70CM Dual Band Antenna. I have been happy with both.