IC-7100 is it still unreliable?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WA7F, Mar 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m looking for a mobile with HF plus all-mode 2m/70cm rig. A detached faceplate is a must. In the shack I’ve got Flex 5000 v/u rigs and they have me spoiled. However, they are a bit large for a mobile application. Icom is a bit of a love/hate relationship. I love my 7300 but, it doesn’t see much use since going with Flex. The 7100 came out about the same time as the 7300 but, I original dismissed it because I was looking for a base station and the specs weren’t as good as the 7300. Also, the control panel is down right ugly. I don’t care for the washed out monochrome display or the slanted configuration. On top of that and most important, I’ve read about a lot of issues with the finals not holding up.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot options for modern all-mode VHF/UHF mobile rigs with IF DSP and detached or detachable faceplates. Did Icom ever get the bugs worked out of the 7100 or is it still problematic?

2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7100 was introduced in 2012, so it was out for several years before the 7300. I bought one in 2015, but later sold it - my bad. It's a nice radio, and was trouble-free for me. It may be the perfect solution for you. The "alarm clock" control head grows on you after a while....

3. WA7F

Thanks, KC3RN. I didn’t mean to describe the 7100 so harshly, guess it just came out that way. I had a 7000 for awhile and they were also rumored to have finals issues in the early serials numbers. The 7000 seemed fairly noisy compared to the 7300 but that’s is expected. Do you have experience with the 7000 to compare to the 7100? How was the 7100 display when operating in sunlight with polarized sunglasses?

So Icom has some good qualities. The PBT filters work well and the AH-4 is an excellent little ATU. The thing that really bugs me about Icom is that they don’t seem to care about cleaning up old issues like power overshoot and CIV packet collisions. They just keep carrying the same known issues from generation to generation. It’s kind of like Icom DNA.

4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, but I've never used a 7000, so I can't help you there. It's kind of a different format than the 7100. I think the 7100 is actually more closely related to the IC-746 - same display, many of the same functions, etc. I picked up a 746 last year, and it's become my main rig. I view it as a 7100 without D-Star or UHF.

I didn't run the 7100 mobile, but I just tried my 746 with sunglasses on. If you view the screen at an angle, no problem. But the display pretty much disappears with viewed straight on...... Turning your head also restores the display, but that might look kind of odd while driving. ;)

5. WA7F

Thanks. I kind of expected some display viewing issues. I’ve never used the 746 but, had a 756 Pro 3 for a couple years.