IC-7100 control head mounting ideas 2013 Impala

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K1LH, Mar 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1LH

K1LH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking at getting an IC-7100 for mobile use.

Interested in suggestions or what others have done by way of mounting the control head, and what hardware / parts were used. I'll be installing this into a 2013 Chevy Impala.

Thanks!

- Lonney
    KL3NO

2. K1LH

K1LH Ham Member QRZ Page

I might add, if anyone knows the best way to run power cabling through the firewall in these cars I'd like to know. I got reading K0BG's site which is a treasure trove of information and realized I should do this properly :)

3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a starting point: https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/chevrolet-impala/2013

This is what I did to mount the control head for an FTM-400XDR in my 1998 Dodge Dakota. I added a mount from Lido that allows me to easily remove the control head to keep it out of sight when the vehicle is parked.

KS1G likes this.
  4. K1LH

K1LH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info John, those look pretty good!

- Lonney

KS1G likes this.
  5. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used ProClip mounts in 2 vehicles (was going to buy for a 3rd but I found an even better idea, at least for holding my phone I also use as a navigation computer). Whatever is attached to that mount WILL stay put.

K1LH likes this.
  6. K1LH

K1LH Ham Member QRZ Page

In-case anyone else is looking for how to get through the firewall in both the 2000-2005 and 2005-2013 model Impalas, they're both the same - I own both models of these cars! Under the dash in the passenger foot well there is a rectangle rubber plug that can be pulled out where a large wire loom comes through, this YT vid shows it:

7. K1LH

K1LH Ham Member QRZ Page