IC-706MKIIG Settings and Making Contacts on FT8

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KE5CVM, May 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE5CVM

KE5CVM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using an IC-706MKIIG radio with a Signallink. My lap top is is a Samsung 730qaa.I have used WSJT-x, and JTDX for software programs. The programs and receiving data and transmitting correctly. The only problem that I have is that I am not getting any contacts. Either contacting CQs or making CQs myself have not worked. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What band(s) at what times of day ? Antenna? Power level?

My "system" tends to hear rather well, with lots of decodes on most bands 160-15 meters ( occasionally 12 meters ), but being heard is not as easy. On 30 meters for example, almost all US stations respond when I am running 10 watts, but the Europeans don't seem to hear me unless I am running 50-100 watts.

I would think that band, time of day, antenna, and power level are all more important to making FT8 contacts than radio, controller, and software, as along as all is working properly.

3. KE5CVM

20 meters all day, the antenna is a 20/40 dipole. Power level is 20-30 watts. My settings on the radio are DSP-ANF on vox on, Com and fagc on. Baud setting on the radio is 1600.

4. N4UP

Well, I would think with that you should be making contacts. Maybe something subtle in the settings. Maybe others, with experience with your setup, can chime in. I know with my setups ( home and truck ) I had to play with a whole host of settings before FT8 would work properly. And one required very different settings than the other.

Some people said I have to do this or have to do that, and neither this nor that worked for me, so in my experience with FT8 what works with one setup may not work with another. There are a few basics, like no noise reduction, but it seems every setup is a bit different.

KE5CVM likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess the time setting needs to be mentioned. Are you synched within one second? Its pretty hard to NOT make contacts with the setup you describe.

KE5CVM likes this.
  6. KE5CVM

Yes. I am synched with NTP Meinburg. What is the most likely problem? The radio or the software program?

7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "DSP-ANF on "

Automatic Notch Filter?

You're probably "killing" your incoming signal with that "on".

KA0HCP and KE5CVM like this.
  8. KE5CVM

ok. I will turn it off. Thank you!

9. KE5CVM

I had to adjust the baud rate in the radio to make any contacts. It is working now.

N4UP likes this.
  10. N4UP

Glad to hear it.