ad: hrd-2

IC-706MKIIG Power Connection

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KO4DHA, May 24, 2020 at 2:49 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KO4DHA

KO4DHA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My 706MKiiG seems to have a bad connection where the power cord plugs into the radio. Sometimes the least movement will cause the radio to turn off. It even happens sometimes as I'm keying the radio. I thought it was a antenna issue at first shutting down account high SWR but the only thing that will get the radio back on is to wiggle the power cord (the power switch will not turn it back on). Has anyone had these same issues?

2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

need to fix or replace the connector...

3. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

1) Try another power cord.

If the problem disappears, it's the cord. troubleshoot the cord if you wish but a replacement cord isn't all that expensive

2) If that doesn't work, open the rig and check the power connector for a bad connection on the rig's power inlet; make sure that none of the pins have either melted the body of the connector or have been pushed partially out of the connector. While you're at it, look for wires which have gotten hot; look at where the red and black leads connect to the printed circuit board check for bad solder joints.

3) If you don't feel good about opening the rig, find someone who does. Not everyone is good at troubleshooting electronics, so don't feel badly about it.

4. KC3AJV

KC3AJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have the head unit/face attached to radio? Is it locking in place nice and snug? Do you have the separation cable to try running it detached?

Try taking the face off, cleaning the pogo pins with IPA. Check for debris. GENTLY check the pins spring action.

If that doesnt help, try GENTLY rubbing a pencil eraser on the pad/socket connector of the main radio body to remove minor corrosion.

This is a common issue with the 706mkiig. It happened to me, and it was dirty pins. I did the above, and it's been problem free for over 2 years.

It may be that wiggling the power cord is actually wiggling the face/separation cable, depending on how you are using it.

5. KO4DHA

KO4DHA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The face plate is attached to the radio. I don't have the separation cable. I'll do the cleaning and see it that works. Thanks for all the advise. If all else fails I'll order a new power cable.

Thanks again.