IC-706MKIIG + iPad Digi modes?

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by K6AQV, May 3, 2021 at 6:17 PM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6AQV

K6AQV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good morning all,

I am thinking about adding digital to my "Field Pack" for SOTA/POTA activation. I currently use my Icom IC-706MkIIG with an Alpha Loop antenna and a LiFePO4 (12v x 12Ah). My laptop seems to heavy to use in this application, but I have an iPad Pro (10.5-inch) running 14.4.2. My questions are;

Can I use the iPad to run digital modes on the 706? (if not, what rig might work?)
    What cabling would be required?
    And, what apps would be recommended?

Regards,
    Dale
    K6AQV

K3DCW likes this.
  2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure about specific apps but there used to be a few that would allow sending/receiving from an iPad. A search of the App Store for things like FT8, PSK31, or others may reveal what you're looking for. There is also a links section at the top of the forum that has links to a few pieces of software, but I think that the list is mostly outdated in this area.

3. K6AQV

Thanks for the reply Dave,

I have settled on the EASY DIGIā„¢ PSK INTERFACE FOR Phones/Pads/Tablets (Apple and Android) for rig control. It has good reviews on eHam.com and the seller is responsive and says it'll work.

As far as Apps go, the most promising I've found is PSKer but it looks like it was last updated 6 years ago (by apple) and some of the recent reviews suggest it's broken due to some iOS updates. There are several apps that will decode signals but I'm having a hard time finding anything that will encode and/or send. I have also found an app for SSTV but it appears to suffer from the same problem.

iWSPR TX looks promising but WSPR isn't really a communication platform IMHO and doesn't go into my logbook as a contact. I will, however use it for propagation testing, which may be good enough.

I have never used FT8. A quick search of the App Store doesn't find any apps but I'll keep looking. Along the lines of "never used" digital modes, there is an app for Field Hellschreiber that I might just give a try.

Regards,
    Dale
    K6AQV

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Feld Hell is one of my favorite modes and is great for conversational QSOs. However, it isn't the most popular of modes. If you decide to get on the air with Feld Hell, you should join the Feld Hell Club (https://sites.google.com/site/feldhellclub/) and notify their mailing list when you're planning on being on the air.

Best of luck!

5. K6AQV

Thanks again Dave,

You've sold me. I have submitted my application to the club. I will play with this mode as soon as the EasyDigi arrives. I am very curious.

Regards,
    Dale
    K6AQV