IC-706MKIIG HF SO-239 Connector Issue

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by AF4LY, Feb 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AF4LY

AF4LY Ham Member QRZ Page

When I have a PL-259 connector all the way in with the shell screwed all the way I can barely hear anything. The S-Meter doesn't move at all. However, when I unscrew the shell and remove the center pin part of the way I can hear signals normally.

I have tested for a short between the center conductor of the SO-239 and the outer threaded part. There is no short according to my Ohmmeter. I open the rig up and removed the connector, the dialectric was as far as it could go. I re soldered and still the same thing.

I'm not sure where to go from here except to send the radio in for servicing. Any suggestions?

BTW, the 2/70cm connector works just fine. I also tested the power output on Wattmeter/Dummy Load that works fine. I have also used other coax cables for testing and still the same thing.

2. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

AF4LY likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

You could also have a defective antenna--can you swap the rig or the antenna to figure out whether the antenna is functioning properly?

Zack W1VT

AF4LY likes this.
  4. AF4LY

I can put it into the the V/UHF jack and it will receive just fine. I was making some contacts on local repeaters and listening to the aircraft bands just fine.

I appreciate the information. I didn't see anything for my specific issue, but I will keep looking. I am pretty sure at this point I'm going to send it in.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

What is that antenna--is it designed for HF/6M as well as 2M/70 cm?

It is quite possible that a 2M/70cm antenna won't let you hear anything on HF unless modified, such as connecting only one conductor so it acts as a random wire.

If you just want to listen, 15 feet wire attached to the center conductor of a PL-259 may be adequate to hear things on HF, assuming the time of day is right for the band you are listening to. Hang it off the ceiling somehow. You can usually hear something, unless you are in a concrete and steel building.

Zack W1VT

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  6. AF4LY

No, it's just a simple ladder-line j-pole. I don't have anything else setup yet. I am going to try the wire really quick.

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The matching network for a J-pole acts as a dead short on HF. Nothing wrong with the rig or antenna, but they won't play together at HF.

Zack W1VT

AF4LY likes this.
  8. AF4LY

Thank you very much! I just hooked up a connector coax to my mfj antenna tuner and rig, then connected a piece of speaker wire to the tuner. It works just fine!

9. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol go figure.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to go figure. Just a basic understanding of troubleshooting techniques, and "how things work."