ad: BKQSL-1

IC-705, Elecraft killer?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

How is the Elecraft Kool-Aid any different from the Icom Kool-Aid?

2. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Elecraft Kool-Aid costs twice as much...

W4POT, AG5DB and W7UUU like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The Icom IC-7851 is $12,500? That's some pretty expensive Kool-Aid right there...

KC7JNJ and N0TZU like this.
  4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but at $12.5K it does practically everything. (As Oscar Wilde once said, "I have the simplest of tastes. I'm always satisfied with the best.")

I'm curious what would've been the design considerations in not including an internal, HF/VHF/UHF antenna tuner; I'm sure somebody on Icom's marketing team suggested including one to make the rig more attractive to potential buyers.

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You beat me to it.

It's curious that I never seem to hear anyone say that a new rig will be an "Icom killer", or Yaesu or Kenwood.

6. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just means that nobody else is making radios good enough, or in quantities large enough, to take them on. Simple!

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

...and it's four times as good

WW2PT and AJ6KZ like this.
  8. K8AG

K8AG Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks good but it lacks a decent tuner. Even the 7300 lacks a decent tuner. I am waiting for the KX4. ;-)
    73, JP, K8AG

KU3X likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No it it isn't. It's a bargain value compared to a Hilberling. "It's all relative". Stop worrying about what others pay for radios they want. :)

AJ6KZ and KV6O like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Icom HFIC-F8101 with Automatic Link Establishment, that I've been using for amateur radio service most of the times I think it's IP68