IC-705, Elecraft killer?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Elecraft killer? In what way? We don't know it's cost or performance yet, so really impossible to compare. Weight and power consumption are two big issues with portable QRP rigs, and an LCD display is going to draw less than a full color display. Plus, LCD's do well in direct sunlight. The KX3, for example, draws something like 150-190mA on receive. I bet this will draw several times that, if not more. We'll have to see.

K8AI, AJ6KZ, KB2SMS and 2 others like this.
  2. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

It's doable for something small like this. I seriously doubt it would sell in sufficient quantity to be profitable at an attractive price.

3. K8TDN

K8TDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at it how hard would it have been to look at all the different mods people have done to current radios...

1. make power connector an Anderson Power pole
    2. internal tuner...the IC-703 has one this should have one also...after all with SMD's it should be doable
    3. While the battery is the same as the ID-51 I think it should be covered and an additional connector added so DIY battery could be used or Anderson power pole connector the dis-connects battery when plugged into external power
    +++ this is just what I would like to see ; so far. I think Icom could do better.

4. YO9IRF

YO9IRF Ham Member QRZ Page

If the current draw stays below 500mA then the battery is almost enough for SOTA (4 QSOs required for an activation). There's always the possibility of an external LiFePO4 that will allow 10W output and longer operating times, for when you are camping or doing POTA.

The lack of an internal tuner is the only real problem with it, but that didn't stop the FT-817 to survive 20 years on the market.

Many details here, by the way: https://qrpblog.com/2019/08/icom-ic-705-hf-vhf-uhf-portable-transceiver-announced/

KU3X likes this.
  5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

By looking at the brochure, it's roughly the same size, weight, and shape as the eight-year-old Elecraft KX3 -- at least close enough that nobody is likely to make their decision based strictly on the package dimensions. Or in other words, it's roughly twice the weight and volume of the KX2, so I guess they're not going after that market.

It falls 5W short of the KX3 in output power (KX3 is 10W on internal batteries, IC-705 is 5W. KX3 is 15W on external 13.8V supply, IC-705 is 10W).

It looks like nobody on the design team ever tried actually using the KX3 portable. The KX3, along with its little brother the KX2, offers some nice ergonomics for outdoor operation:
    • The optional attached lightweight paddle, which allows you to use the weight of the radio to keep the paddles steady if you're on a table top, or allows you to hold the radio in one hand while the other hand operates the paddles, so you can operate CW while standing when there's no place to rest the radio.
    • The swing-out legs, for operating on a picnic table or similar. They angle the display and controls toward the operator without requiring you to carry along a separate stand. The video that I saw of the Icom always showed it being used with a bulky separate stand.
    • The SideKX end panels and face protector. Admittedly, Elecraft didn't come up with this idea -- it's an aftermarket accessory designed by an Elecraft user. But it's one of the most popular add-ons for portable operation, because it does a good job protecting the front panel from damage when carrying it in a backpack or when using it in the field. The case design of the KX3 made this product easy to make. If I were designing a KX3 successor, I'd build that sort of functionality in from the start.
    • Others have already mentioned the internal ATU. Portable operations often involve using compromise antennas, and the ability to quickly match virtually anything is a tremendous asset.
    Admittedly, the Icom has a panadapter built in, while it's an optional accessory for the KX3. And the Icom has D-Star and Bluetooth. But those things may add to the power consumption. Without detailed specs, it's hard to know.

I'm sure when the radio is actually released, people will start figuring out how the radios actually stack up against each other. The important stuff like receiver performance, current consumption, etc. will eventually come out.

6. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

The size is not a deal breaker for me. But, it does look like it's about 20% bigger in size by volume compared to my KX3. When you enter the KX2 into the mix, hands down the KX2 makes for a better back pack radio when keeping things light.

But the IC705 is still an impressive radio, from what I can see.
    WOW ! It is packed with features ! "Do I need all of those features for portable operations? " No, but they are sure nice to have in one package. Just like the old FT817......it does so much.
    Barry

AJ6KZ likes this.
  7. YO9IRF

YO9IRF Ham Member QRZ Page

KU3X and WJ4U like this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Something is always being touted as an “Elecraft killer”, but somehow they never do:rolleyes:. Elecraft must be flattered that they are regarded as the radio to beat, at least by some.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    K8AI, WW2PT and KU3X like this.
  9. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Elecraft Killer? Someone doth blaspheme the name of the Supreme Radio ! Elecraft radios are so good , if you kill them, they will
    fix themselves ! You may as well suggest that the SteppiR beam is not the most perfect antenna ever made!

10. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not possible to compete with Elecraft on this one - you'll note that nowhere in the spec brochure does it mention a Kool-Aid dispenser! HI HI

KK6USY likes this.