IC-705, Elecraft killer?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KM4DYX, Aug 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No.

Next exaggerated question, please. ;)

KU4FL, K8AI, AJ6KZ and 4 others like this.
  3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Though I have not seen one, and only seeing the video. It does not get me going. The only thing I feel I am missing on my 817 is a little better receiver and variable receive bandwidth controls. I already have DSP. This is the only reasons I want a KX2. That icom is just has to many wiz bangs for me. To tell you the truth I would enjoy a new icom 735 over that 705. So I hope it is not a Elecraft killer as I have not gotten my Elecraft yet.

4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Elecraft KX2 and a KX3. It's not an Elecraft killer for me. I'm not selling either one to get the 705. Actually, the no internal ATU on the 705 is a deal breaker for me, even though I only use resonant antennas and no ATU is needed. There are times I may need and ATU and an external ATU is just one more item I have to carry with me.
    Nope, my KX2 is my, "Go To Portable Radio" and it's here to stay. That is, until Elecraft decides to come out with a KX4. "Are you listening Elecraft ?"
    But.....I do have to say, I am impressed with the 705 and I am sure they will sell like hot cakes. Price? I bet it's over 2K ?
    Barry

K5VZD, AJ6KZ, K8UA and 1 other person like this.
  5. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know the IC705's tx and receive current consumption? It's no good having a small rig if you need to take big batteries. Does it beat the KX3 (which in this regard is better than the FT817)?

A small thing it lacks over the FT817/8 is the latter's dual antenna sockets. That's handy particularly for VHF/UHF field days with different antennas on 2m & 70cm.

K8AI and KC7JNJ like this.
  6. K8TDN

K8TDN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree...no internal ATU...could run resonant antennas...battery is noice if you have a id-51..same battery...but need more info on battery consumption..still it looks nice..this may all be changed by release to USA happens...

KU3X likes this.
  7. AB6MB

AB6MB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

$2000 for a ten watt radio????

KQ9J likes this.
  8. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  9. WA1QZX

WA1QZX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it would be very attractive as a QRP rig for those that already have IC-7300 or IC-9700 or IC-7610 and are accustomed to the Icom display layout and menu system as they would not have to learn another system. In this way it really wouldn't be a FT-818 or KX2/3 killer, as it would be targeting mostly Icom oriented guys/gals and not necessarily Yaesu and Elecraft users. Although there might be some crossover.

K0UO likes this.
  10. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is anybody making an IP68 rated amateur rig? Would it be that hard to do?

MSBETTYHUNT and K8UA like this.