IC-7000 powerup issues

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NR0G, Nov 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. NR0G

NR0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all. I've finally found some time to setup my radio in my pickup. Ran nice 10 GA wire from the battery to the rig, and when I connected up initially I hooked up the radio and then grounded power to the battery. When I did this I got quite a spark, which I wasn't expecting. Then I hit the power switch and only got what sounds like a relay firing, but no power to anything. Tried this quite a few times, then I started my truck ((2004 F350 Superduty with dual batteries which should be plenty to power this rig engine off), and lo and behold it powered up. Green RX light and Red TX when keying the mic. But no display. I did get audio static on some band but that's it. So since I hadn't grounded it yet I ran a 10 GA from the ground lug and clamped it onto my 2/4 WD lever and it killed the radio! Huh? I have not been able to even get it running since. Checked the fuses all good. Tried removing the face (and checking the pins) and reinstalling, running it with the external face cable, no go. Sorry for the long winded description, but I thought it might help with some seeing something I am obviously missing. This rig has been sitting in a box both back in CO and now here in HI, but last time I had it installed it worked great. Any advice or assistance would be appreciated! 73's!

NR0G/KL6

2. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you check the voltage and polarity at the DC plug to the radio before connecting, and did you do a test to ensure the negative side of the plug is connected to the car grounded body?

If the voltage and polarity is right then there should be no problem prooviding the car body is grounded to the negative side.... remember if the antenna plug is grounded to the car body.... what if the car is +ve ground??? Try powering up with no antenna and the rig isolated from thr car, leaving just the +ve and -ve lead connected.

If all is well here it's just gotta be the radio.... any wrong connections here could damage the radio in one way or another, an idea would be to try the radio on a power supply to see if it powers up.

Dave

3. NR0G

NR0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'm using the same power cable as I have in the past, and the connections are directly to the + and - of the 12V Battery. Also I have the Antenna and chassis ground disconnected, just + and - in. However I will try to run it on a power supply. After that I guess I'll send it for repair. I think when I first connected it to the battery, that spark was not a good thing. Obviously I have no idea at this time why it would have sparked, even if the radio needed some minimal power the spark was more that a tiny thing. Not crossing car battery cables large, but more that just a brush on metal.