IC-7000 Knob clicks/tension

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N2ZUL, Jan 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N2ZUL

N2ZUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I recently bought an IC-7000 from a local ham. It seems as though the knob tension is un-adjustable with the lever on the side. It always has the "clicks" or "notches". Even when I have the knob off the radio it still has the clicks. This leads me to believe the clicks originate in the encoder. Is the ic-7000 supposed to have a "freewheeling" option? If so , why would mine not? Maybe a new encoder?

Thank you,
    Bill
    N2ZUL

2. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are talking about the big VFO knob then yes it is free wheeling. If you are talking about the knob on the left bottom, then no.
    The tension is adjustable.

3. N2ZUL

Yes I meant the VFO knob. I don't understand how it freewheels. I was going to take the nut off to see if anything was amiss. According to the service manual, all the parts are there. So I don't think I am missing parts. Thank you for your reply!

Bill

4. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a little tab under the knob that moves to loosen the tension. Do you have the owners manual?

5. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

The tension tab is to the right of the VFO knob

6. N2ZUL

Yes, it doesn't do anything. All the way down (loosest) certainly does make it looser but not freewheeling. I'll try to get pics and or video later. If it does tension adjustment by pressing the felt pads against the back of the knob, with the knob off I would imagine it would freewheel. I still have the notches with the knob off. That leads me to believe the notching is done in the encoder. It is highly unlikely the radio will ever be mobile so I have no need for the notching.

thank you again
    Bill