IC-7000 and software control

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N7IOD, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N7IOD

N7IOD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks,

I have an ic-7000 and would like to control it via computer.

I have been looking Ham Radio Deluxe and wonder what type of device I need to interface the radio with the PC.

Would one of the Rigblaster Plug and Play do the job?

Your advice is appreciated!

2. W2GSJ

W2GSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

i ordered the donners digital cable after reading great reviews off of eham, and cant be happier http://home.att.net/~n8st/rigcontrol.html

as my computer doesnt have a serial port, i also ordered the serial to usb cable. after installing the software for the usb cable i had to restart my computer and everything was good togo.

i also use ham radio deluxe, and have no experience with other programs, but its pretty nice and straight forward.

3. VE4CY

VE4CY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using HRD and a SignaLink interface with my IC-7000 (I bought this IC-7000 to put in the car, but it hasn't quite got there yet :) )

HRD is primarily a frequency and mode control package.. All you need is a CI-V cable.. You can buy Icom's optional box for about 70 bucks, or you can get one off eBay for under 10 dollars. Just go to eBay and search for "IC-7000 CI-V"

There are also a few separate software packages that allow you to save and set ALL the memories in the IC-7000 using the same CI-V cable. My favorite for this is Rumtrol 7000.

http://www.dl2rum.de/rumsoft/RUMtrol7K.html

4. N7IOD

N7IOD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm also interested in the digital modes, so some sort of audio interface is needed?

5. N7SCB

N7SCB Ham Member QRZ Page

You can also use the RadioShack 20-047 USB interface cable that they usually have in stock for about $35.00. I've tried this with HRD on both my IC-718 and IC-7000 radios. It works well to program or control the radio through the CI-V port. Yes, you will need a separate interface for audio if you want to work the digital modes like PSK-31.

There is a good article about this on page 78 of the Oct. 2008 QST.

This cable also can be used to program certain RadioShack scanners with the right software.

6. WA4TM

WA4TM Ham Member QRZ Page

IC-7000, RigBlaster Pro, and HRD here..

7. AB8ZL

AB8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I use this one for a CI-V cable. It includes a USB/serial interface and is $13.00 delivered to your door.

For an audio interface, I just made my own using the ACC plug, a pair of mini phone cables and a isolation transformer off of a old computer modem.

8. VE7SP

VE7SP Ham Member QRZ Page

IC7000, HRD, and Rigblaster Plug N Play

Hi, I'm using the rig blaster plug n play and the CI-V cable that you can order from them for my IC7000. I have most of it working. Just can't get the DM780 digital modes to work. I can receive everything, but when I try to TX my radio goes to TX but not the rig blaster, so nothing going out. The radio control is working, as is the logging and all the other great features.

The rig blaster plug n play does work if I run MMTTY or Digipan as stand alone. HRD is a bit tough for me to set up. Anyone with any ideas, maybe I have a wrong setting.

9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know anything about the DM780 software but if you have MMTTY and Digipan working ok then you are doing good...so far anyway! Digipan is the easiest to get set up and working. Maybe it is just that the instructions are the best, I don't know, but it is the easiest. Once it is working ok it should be easier to set the others up as well. Probably some software setting in the DM780 that isn't set correctly yet. Does HRD itself work ok?

10. KD5RFT

KD5RFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Rigblaster PNP Works. You won't need the ACCY to DATA adapter -- the PNP works just fine in the DATA port. You may need the CI-V cable (for full HRD control) which is basically a 2 to 3 conductor 1/8" audio cable. I don't know if a 3 to 3 conductor (stereo cable) will work (it might).. I made the 2 to 3 conductor per the diagram. The CI-V is for remote control and can also be used for PTT control by HRD. It's optional as the DATA port provides PTT unless you need the remote control, memory management, features etc from CI-V.

Nick KD5RFT
    RF Turkey

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.